1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise Nursery Room

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosures' started by theguy67, May 14, 2017.

1. theguy67

theguy67 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg
    I added an irrigation system yesterday! Works very well. I just need to hook it up to my electric valve. Right now it’s just on the faucet. After I have the valve wired to the controller, I’ll be-able to have it spray the enclosure down everyday. I’m not always there (due to school) so my father takes care of them. This means the enclosure dries out some between watering, although the babies always have water available. I will be very curious to see how the grass responds.
    IMG_2013.jpg

Grass growth after a few weeks.
    Pearly and Oxalis like this.
  2. Oxalis

Oxalis Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Michigan
    Can't wait to see! :)
    Pearly likes this.
  3. theguy67

Well It has been a while. I have not made much progress on the "nursery room", as I have been occupied with the outdoor pen, and related things. Now that it is summer, I've turned my focus back on renovating the room.

As far as the "grass experiment" goes...I Lost most of my Bermuda over the winter. I honestly do not know what happened, but this time I have tried transplanting from the yard. Seems to be working much better this time.

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg
    Oxalis and Hugo's Home like this.
  4. NorCal tortoise guy

NorCal tortoise guy Well-Known Member

Northern California
    Enjoyed reading you progress I'm going to be starting on my own tortoise nursery room soon!
    theguy67 and Oxalis like this.
  5. theguy67

Thanks. Hopefully I will be moving on to the "room" part of the tortoise nursery room. I'm going to be making doors for cabinets and floating shelves. Once that is done I can organize everything (code for hiding the junk) and start on the enclosure above this one.
    Oxalis and NorCal tortoise guy like this.
  6. theguy67

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

So it has been a while since I have updated the nursery room. Quick summary....

The grass experiment finally failed. Both attempts lead to the grass eventually turning brown and dying. I’m not sure if it’s too much water, or not enough nutrients. Either way, grass is much more demanding than I had originally thought. I’m taking a different approach. As I did in the beginning, I’m going to constantly seed the bottom enclosure from my tortoise plant mix. Larger juveniles will decimate the plants but my hatchlings are small enough to allow the vegetation to grow. This will give them something to graze on.

On another note. I FINALLY finished the top enclosure. I also filled and sanded the fronts of the unit to give it a cleaner look. There are currently 4 hatchlings in the bottom and 2 juveniles in the top. Please excuse my messy wiring.

I also added a counter top and shelves to the room. I’m currently working on staining the floors, so there's still much more to come. As I progress further, I will take some better shots of the cages and the room.
  7. Oxalis

Oxalis Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Michigan
    I too am having trouble growing tortoise plants indoors. The grass is likely full-sun; maybe it's not getting enough light? This seems to be the issue for my indoor plants but I'm also looking into some nutrient options for them.