Tortoise on her back

Bb1

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi.

Just found my tortoise on her back outside and don’t know how long she has been like this. She was when I got out not trying to flip herself back over and don’t know if she tried this before.

Is there anything I should look out for now in the hours after she was upside down?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give her a warm soak. They usually empty their bladder and can become dehydrated. Just keep an eye on her for the next day or so. If anything seems out of sorts let us know. She might rest or put herself into her hide/sleep spot for the rest of today which in my experience with my own is normal.
I have found each of my leopards this same way once or twice each. It never turned into anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi.

Just found my tortoise on her back outside and don’t know how long she has been like this. She was when I got out not trying to flip herself back over and don’t know if she tried this before.

Is there anything I should look out for now in the hours after she was upside down?
If the tortoise is hot, cool it with water. When they are on their backs for a while they tend to pee and poop. A good long daily soak for a few days in a row will ensure good hydration. Other than that, she should be fine since you caught it in time.

Bb1

England
Thank you. She did have a long soak this morning and it was not full sun outside were she was. Gave her some food (rinsed it so water on that too) she ate it but does look a bit confused. Will keep an eye on her and continue giving her baths.