Tortoise on TV!!

yillt

About a year ago, my tortoise developed symptoms of an RI. I promptly took him to the vet where they said that they were very impressed with my knowledge on tortoises after I explained to them what species he was and how big they grow, the hibernation process and the symptoms of a Respirator infection. Consequently, this was the same vet who have their own TV programme (vet on the hill) which is popular in England, especially around where I live (where the vet is.) They asked if I could be on the programme to educate people on tortoise hibernation and other issues that owners sometimes don't know about in as much depth as they should. But what I'm really here to ask, is what topics do you think worthy of mentioning? Please could you also add some info on those and any shocking facts or figures. I'm 14 so they won't be expecting an expert, but as the programme airs to quite a large audience, I would like to seem professional and afterwards, be comfortable that I covered everything I should have. Thank you!!

(The programme is called vet on the hill and the main vet is called Scott miller.)

theguy67

10 Year Member!
This sounds exciting...

I'm not familiar with your specific tortoise species, but maybe put an emphasis on the complexity of their care, despite tortoises (reptiles in general) appearing quite simple. Then touch on points like hibernation, complexity of diet, pyramiding, proper housing, MBD, etc. You will probably want to keep it broad, as I assume your screen time will be limited, but it will never hurt to throw in some specific facts and figures. You also don't want to ramble, so pick out 1 or 2 main messages, and build around that. Go watch some other programs/documentaries and take notes on how they present info. I know the BBC makes some great ones.

I agree with theguy67. Talk about the important details of having your species of tortoise. Good luck and have fun on tv! Can you tell me the channel or broadcasting time so that I can watch it?

Thanks,
Kayla

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
From a UK point of view: Please point out that there's more to keeping a healthy tortoise than bunging it in the garden, giving it lettuce and putting it in a box each winter!

And name drop The Tortoise Forum as a source of online help ;)

Hibernation
1. Not all species can hibernate! eg Testudo (Greeks, Horsfields and Hermanns) can. Redfoots, Sulcatas and Leopard Torts can't.

2. Your tort must be healthy and heavy. You must know it's weight throughout the season and it must not lose weight significantly in the wind down

3. It must be cold enough to hibernate. The winters are getting warmer here in the UK and torts need it consistently below 10C (ideally around 5C) to hibernate successfully. Temps must never drop below zero.

4. Just putting it in a box with straw in the garage isn't enough these days. Fridge hibernation, not in your house fridge, is the only way to guarantee temperature stability.

5. Check your tort regularly through hibernation - especially weight. If it loses 10% of bodyweight you must rouse it.

6. On waking your tort rehydration, using twice daily soaks, is essential for health. And a basking lamp will be needed, even for those kept outdoors, to ensure the tort gets warm enough to eat and be active quickly.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
From a UK point of view: Please point out that there's more to keeping a healthy tortoise than bunging it in the garden, giving it lettuce and putting it in a box each winter!

And name drop The Tortoise Forum as a source of online help ;)

Hibernation
1. Not all species can hibernate! eg Testudo (Greeks, Horsfields and Hermanns) can. Redfoots, Sulcatas and Leopard Torts can't.

2. Your tort must be healthy and heavy. You must know it's weight throughout the season and it must not lose weight significantly in the wind down

3. It must be cold enough to hibernate. The winters are getting warmer here in the UK and torts need it consistently below 10C (ideally around 5C) to hibernate successfully. Temps must never drop below zero.

4. Just putting it in a box with straw in the garage isn't enough these days. Fridge hibernation, not in your house fridge, is the only way to guarantee temperature stability.

5. Check your tort regularly through hibernation - especially weight. If it loses 10% of bodyweight you must rouse it.

6. On waking your tort rehydration, using twice daily soaks, is essential for health. And a basking lamp will be needed, even for those kept outdoors, to ensure the tort gets warm enough to eat and be active quickly.
Having said all that, I am pretty sure they'll want you to talk about your tortoise and the vet to give the hibernation expertise.

Let me know when it's broadcast and I'll make sure I watch :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To keep it simple. Tell about the care of your species, and throw in the importance of hydration/humidity, not mixing species and that most if not all enclosures sold for them from stores are not suitable for an adult tortoise. Yes, try to mention tortoiseforum.org as a source for all the correct info.
Congrats and have fun. Pretty cool for a 14 year old.

yillt

Thanks everyone. That's a great help. I will definitely mention tortoise forum and as soon as I find out when it airs, I will tell you. Everything I've learnt has been on this forum so I will certainly give some credit for that. Thanks everyone!