TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
I think I've seen this one somewhere on here this week. If not in this thread maybe it's in reposted ads?? I think someone else was emailing for more info also.

This thread.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Dillion, this is not a Russian. It was also posted Atleast a week or so ago..vegasarah , were you planning on doing a rescue?
Where is this one located?

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Dillion, this is not a Russian. It was also posted Atleast a week or so ago..vegasarah , were you planning on doing a rescue?

I have two friends in Killeen, one of them sent me this link to see if she should save him. Still waiting on a reply, nothing so far.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Vegasarah said:
I have two friends in Killeen, one of them sent me this link to see if she should save him. Still waiting on a reply, nothing so far.

Ah yes, Bodatort has also sent an email to them. Any news there, Cari?

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I haven't heard from them, I sent 2 messages but as usual I don't have the KIM magic :p so no reply...

quote='LuckysGirl007' pid='584971' dateline='1356082438']
Vegasarah said:

Ah yes, Bodatort has also sent an email to them. Any news there, Cari?
[/quote]

I would take him in a minute if he lived in Texas! Darn it! His care sucks, doesn't look bad but he really needs a forever home with someone with tortoise experience... And of course other torties to play with ;):p

Bambammiles said:
Currently looking into this guy. He appears somewhat healthy but I think the owner isn't interested in him anymore.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/fod/3492260952.html

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:

The post I made a while back was for a Russian near me. It was definitely a Russian.

P.s.... my name is spelled Dillon, not Dillion. Everyone makes that mistake. ;-):)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Ok, question.....if Kim and i work on this tort and get a reply. Is there someone willing to take it in?? And do the rest? Otherwise there is no reason to try if noone is willing to take it..

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
That guy in sandiego doesn't know much about sucatas. I think its funny that one of the requirements, is that he has to have time with other torts. If he is a male he should never be around other sulcatas unless you are going to let him mate for a few months or you are going to put him with a group of females.Other than that it is real cheap and not horribly pyramided.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I will take the sulcata in of course.. I have several large ones so I have lots of experience with those.... Will take in the red foot as I now know about that species and he came with a whole set-up :) Love that!! Basically I will take whatever you need me to... And my hubby supports me on this... No repeat of people backing out due to spousal disagreements over amount of torties!! :)
[/quote]

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Really, did we need to bring that up? Are you speaking about the redfoot that i have? He will not come with a setup. You will need to talk to Erica about him and i have to be assured that he will be going to a good home before i let him go. I dont believe that is the reason anyway. Im sure you are a good person, but things happen. And he is in really good hands right now anyways.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
Bambammiles said:
Currently looking into this guy. He appears somewhat healthy but I think the owner isn't interested in him anymore.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/fod/3492260952.html

What a cutie! San Diego isn't too far from me... If someone can snag him I would be more than happy to drive half or all the way to get him and provide him with a home for as long as needed! His diet including fruits worries me, though. His shell is a little bumpy, too. Doesn't look like 'MBD bad' but still not very good. I have the yard to take on a tort of this size no problem. But I'm no expert, maybe he doesn't need to be saved? I'll wait for someone with more knowledge to chime in :)

No response on the aquarium sulcata from TX...

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
I can take in that sully, or a redfoot. Or anything. Please, guys, I know I don't live in Arizona or Texas or something, but give me a chance. :)

If you ever have a tort that needs a home, PM me, I don't always check this thread.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Mainey34.. It is ok you prolly dont know that I have already taken in a couple of the rescues already and I am the one who placed Charlie and Lucy into their forever home.. And I am working on placing the red foot you have with one of my husbands coworkers at the fire dept.. His chief now has Charlie and Lucy.So by my estimate I provide a good home... You asked if there was anyone who could take the Torty in and since I wasnt sure if we were talking about the San Diego Sulcata, Phoenix Red Foot, the mysterious Russian or the Dallas tank sulcata I just put it out there that as usual i can take whatever Torty needed me to... As for being a nice person.. I think Kim can vouch for me. Thank you tho for expressing your concern.

pid='585173' dateline='1356119657']
Really, did we need to bring that up? Are you speaking about the redfoot that i have? He will not come with a setup. You will need to talk to Erica about him and i have to be assured that he will be going to a good home before i let him go. I dont believe that is the reason anyway. Im sure you are a good person, but things happen. And he is in really good hands right now anyways.
[/quote]

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes, Kim has said good things about you, but my husband and i have become attached to Ruben. Therefore. I would like him to go to a knowledgeable home with someone who can spend time with him, or i will forfit the russian ive been wanting for him. Thats just how much we care about the little guy. As far as your comment goes. I really didnt think it was necessary. Regardless of the situation..**** happens. No need to put anyone down. She had very good intentions. Im not mad at all at her. Please dont hold it against her.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
0_0

Awkward...

So how about the weather?!

And I can take in torts too. I know people don't want to give me any because I live in Missouri, but a chance at smaller ones are appreciated.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Vegasarah said:
What a cutie! San Diego isn't too far from me... If someone can snag him I would be more than happy to drive half or all the way to get him and provide him with a home for as long as needed! His diet including fruits worries me, though. His shell is a little bumpy, too. Doesn't look like 'MBD bad' but still not very good. I have the yard to take on a tort of this size no problem. But I'm no expert, maybe he doesn't need to be saved? I'll wait for someone with more knowledge to chime in :)

No response on the aquarium sulcata from TX...

He is a cutie! $25 is a very reasonable price. It doesn't appear he needs rescued. Some pyramiding and isn't getting the ideal diet but he has lots if grass and sunshine. He would make a great addition to someone's family for sure though!

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Ripkabird98... Nothing awkward.. All is good. There is no one keeping you out because you live in Missouri...basically how the rescue works is whatever state the tortise needing rescue lives "we" look for someone that lives there to retrieve/foster the Torty until a forever home has been found. Mainey and Kim cover Phoenix and that is where 95% of our rescues have come from so the 2 have been SUPER BUSY. I cover Tx, Erika has Florida, and we have a couple in California and a few on east coast.. You will get your turn I promise :) surf Craigslist for your state and search for a Torty in need of significant improvement in care and health. Those we rescue. If you read thru this whole thread you will find where Erika has laid out the game plan. Hope this helps.. And know we need and the torties need as many fosters/rescuers as possible to make a difference in their lives.
~Cari
PS The weather sucked in Houston!!! :)
quote='Ripkabird98' pid='585254' dateline='1356130122']
0_0

Awkward...

So how about the weather?!

And I can take in torts too. I know people don't want to give me any because I live in Missouri, but a chance at smaller ones are appreciated.
[/quote]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know Ripka is already watching for those tortoises in their area. Where Ripka bird lives, there are very few tortoises ever coming up needing to be rescued and there are quite a few folks in the area who are quick to snatch them up. I may be wrong, but what I think she is saying is as these animals come in from areas of high levels of need (ie AZ), please keep in mind she would love to have them come to her for either temp care or more. Yes, it may include shipping but she has the room, the love, and the heart of wanting to help. There is no need to back up or over fill your own homes with the amount of tortoises needing help in your areas. No need to make tortoises wait for new homes. Ripka is there, use Ripka. I think I know how Ripka is feeling because I myself often feel left out because in Nebraska (where I live) there is not a lot of need either. It goes against the grain for some of us to just sit back and watch. Ripka wants hands on involvement. (Sorry Ripka, if I did not say what your actually feeling, but it was what I was guessing you were feeling).

Have you guys, yet made a sheet of what requirements folks wanting to adopt must have? Like amount if space, own your home or give you their landlord's infor to make sure a tortoise is ok, ect.., Plus like questions o "test" the potential adopter?

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I know Ripka is already watching for those tortoises in their area. Where Ripka bird lives, there are very few tortoises ever coming up needing to be rescued and there are quite a few folks in the area who are quick to snatch them up. I may be wrong, but what I think she is saying is as these animals come in from areas of high levels of need (ie AZ), please keep in mind she would love to have them come to her for either temp care or more. Yes, it may include shipping but she has the room, the love, and the heart of wanting to help. There is no need to back up or over fill your own homes with the amount of tortoises needing help in your areas. No need to make tortoises wait for new homes. Ripka is there, use Ripka. I think I know how Ripka is feeling because I myself often feel left out because in Nebraska (where I live) there is not a lot of need either. It goes against the grain for some of us to just sit back and watch. Ripka wants hands on involvement. (Sorry Ripka, if I did not say what your actually feeling, but it was what I was guessing you were feeling).

Hit it spot on!

I just feel sidelined. I joined this because I wanted to rescue. Shipping? Fine. But my state is the only thing anybody see when I want to adopt a tort. People have decently cared for sullies around here proving it can work if you do it right, which I will, and I CAN renovate my house with basking areas, and a place to burrow. But It makes me mad to see "We need help in Arizona!" "SOOOO many torts in Texas :( makes me sad we don't have enough adopters!" Clearly you don't feel that upset or you would be willing to let me adopt. You have one RIGHT HERE who is willing to help, but isn't being used. If they are in foster or whatever, I can adopt. I have the time, space, and love. There are literally like, NO torts near me- ever.

Thank you Jacqui!