TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
That's a great idea. I can start a care sheet and distribute it out to the dumb pet shops who don't think sulcatas need much water...that they should be in a dry environment. I actually have a care sheet that the pet store gives to customers who buy sulcatas, and that's what they said. Aren't there government people who check to see if animals are being abused? What the heck are they doing if they aren't cracking down on people like these backyard breeders?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would suggest, thay perhaps the rescue might want to create their own ad and caresheet, making sure it has good advise, is well worded and simple to understand, and quickly to the point. That way it would be a solid one and usable in different places. A "professional" and polished look will cause folks to give it more credit and follow it. Then at different times, it could be placed in different regional Craig's list and such.

sibi said:
Aren't there government people who check to see if animals are being abused? What the heck are they doing if they aren't cracking down on people like these backyard breeders?

Because they aren't actually "abusing" the animals and there are a dozen ways to raise those animals. Having pyramiding does not equal that the animals have been "abused". Backyard breeders also does not equal bad breeders.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I was refering to those breeders who don't know anything
about raising sulcatas. They're in it for the money. Specifically, I was answering Charmaine's remark. Sprry if u were offended.r

line='1353591469']
I would suggest, thay perhaps the rescue might want to create their own ad and caresheet, making sure it has good advise, is well worded and simple to understand, and quickly to the point. That way it would be a solid one and usable in different places. A "professional" and polished look will cause folks to give it more credit and follow it. Then at different times, it could be placed in different regional Craig's list and such.

sibi said:
Aren't there government people who check to see if animals are being abused? What the heck are they doing if they aren't cracking down on people like these backyard breeders?

Because they aren't actually "abusing" the animals and there are a dozen ways to raise those animals. Having pyramiding does not equal that the animals have been "abused". Backyard breeders also does not equal bad breeders.
[/quote]

about raising sulcatas. They're in it for the money. Specifically, I was answering Charmaine's remark. Sprry if u were offended.

line='1353591469']

sibi said:

[/quote]

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
sibi said:
about raising sulcatas. They're in it for the money. Specifically, I was answering Charmaine's remark. Sprry if u were offended.r

line='1353591469']

sibi said:

about raising sulcatas. They're in it for the money. Specifically, I was answering Charmaine's remark. Sprry if u were offended.

line='1353591469']

sibi said:

[/quote]
[/quote]
Some very good ideas. As far as a care sheet for the rescue group. I'll run that by Erica since its her group. I Mearly was wanting to help the phoenix area be more educated on these sulcatas they are picking up and not properly caring for. That's all. I can't fix it..

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
I've just found this thread. I'm practically over the other side of the world, but interested to be a part of this if there's ever anything I can do here in North West England. Specifically for small tortoises, though. I've just got myself in a situation where I have spare equipment for one tortoise and I do see some mistreated ones in local classified ads so it's something I've made a promise to myself to keep an eye on.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thank you Jacqui...I have sent a nice, but informative email on her pyramading, MBD tort. Hopefully she reads and takes some of my advise. If not....I tried...

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hmmm... The ad says the tort is pyramided from the first owner, not the current owner, which is a good sign. I'll contact her and see if she'd be willing to ship the tort to a nice, warm home in the south if we can find one. MA is not the best place for a grown sully to live in the winter.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
shellysmom said:
Hmmm... The ad says the tort is pyramided from the first owner, not the current owner, which is a good sign. I'll contact her and see if she'd be willing to ship the tort to a nice, warm home in the south if we can find one. MA is not the best place for a grown sully to live in the winter.

I am not in the south, but my husband is up in that area and may be could have picked her up and brought her here. Not sure if there would be time for that now.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hello everyone
I live around Columbus Ohio. I would love to help !!
Please let me know if I can!! I have experience with
box turtles if that helps!!!

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I also would love to add my name to the list if you need me! I'm in Las Vegas, NV but I am willing to travel to surrounding areas if need be (Phoenix is 5 hours but if someone can meet me halfway I would do it for sure since it seems like the worst area). I have a small-ish back yard, but parts can easily be converted into space for torts. I love sullys and probably have more knowledge about them than any other species, though I can take any others as well! I see torts that I wish I could help on my local CL as well! Hopefully we can get them some help as well.

Also- I see a lot of ideas about a care sheet. Is anyone on here saying "I'm doing it!"? Because if not I could try and come up with something. I agreed with whoever said that if we get something together with pictures and full color maybe people will start taking notice. We could put them up at local pet stores or give them to people who breed/ sell torts to pass along to buyers. I love the idea of side-by-side pictures of smooth growth v. pyramid growth, pictures of what their enclosures should look like etc. I'm going to try and start one about sulcatas and how to raise hatchlings, since those are mostly what are being sold right now. I think people just don't know, and even the people at the pet stores have been given bad advice! I'll figure out a way to post it on here and everyone can suggest changes or additions to it till we can get something great. Make it a printer-friendly version so everyone on here can do their part and print them out and distribute them!

Another thing that has already been talked about is EDUCATION. Sometimes people just don't know that what they are doing is wrong! If you see an ad somewhere or someone selling torts with a problem, just let them know. Try not to be preachy or call them a terrible owner or anything, but try and educate them as best you can. See a tort on the wrong substrate in a pet store? Just kindly let them know! See a tort who is being kept in dry conditions? Just tell them that it's not ideal and suggest ways to try and fix it. I know people are idiots, and some of them are never going to listen, but it's always worth a try.

On that note, anyone want to help me come up with a COPY/PASTE email to send out to CL sellers that's short and sweet, but lets them know what the proper care is? I know if you just say "Oh here go to this link to learn what you're doing wrong" they aren't going to take the time to do so. But if you write it down in the email (maybe with a few pictures) they might take it to heart. And even if they end up selling the tort anyway, encourage them to give those notes to the buyer!

Whew- okay. Sorry about the rambling, I just know the run-around that rescues go through and I'm just trying to share so wisdom. I've been rescuing, rehabbing, and volunteering for 8 years with all different reptiles/ birds/ amphibians. I hope to now volunteer to help torts, because they seem to always be so under the radar!

Let me know if I can be of any help or if anyone wants to help me make these print-outs!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Vegasarah said:
I also would love to add my name to the list if you need me! I'm in Las Vegas, NV but I am willing to travel to surrounding areas if need be (Phoenix is 5 hours but if someone can meet me halfway I would do it for sure since it seems like the worst area). I have a small-ish back yard, but parts can easily be converted into space for torts. I love sullys and probably have more knowledge about them than any other species, though I can take any others as well! I see torts that I wish I could help on my local CL as well! Hopefully we can get them some help as well.

Also- I see a lot of ideas about a care sheet. Is anyone on here saying "I'm doing it!"? Because if not I could try and come up with something. I agreed with whoever said that if we get something together with pictures and full color maybe people will start taking notice. We could put them up at local pet stores or give them to people who breed/ sell torts to pass along to buyers. I love the idea of side-by-side pictures of smooth growth v. pyramid growth, pictures of what their enclosures should look like etc. I'm going to try and start one about sulcatas and how to raise hatchlings, since those are mostly what are being sold right now. I think people just don't know, and even the people at the pet stores have been given bad advice! I'll figure out a way to post it on here and everyone can suggest changes or additions to it till we can get something great. Make it a printer-friendly version so everyone on here can do their part and print them out and distribute them!

Another thing that has already been talked about is EDUCATION. Sometimes people just don't know that what they are doing is wrong! If you see an ad somewhere or someone selling torts with a problem, just let them know. Try not to be preachy or call them a terrible owner or anything, but try and educate them as best you can. See a tort on the wrong substrate in a pet store? Just kindly let them know! See a tort who is being kept in dry conditions? Just tell them that it's not ideal and suggest ways to try and fix it. I know people are idiots, and some of them are never going to listen, but it's always worth a try.

On that note, anyone want to help me come up with a COPY/PASTE email to send out to CL sellers that's short and sweet, but lets them know what the proper care is? I know if you just say "Oh here go to this link to learn what you're doing wrong" they aren't going to take the time to do so. But if you write it down in the email (maybe with a few pictures) they might take it to heart. And even if they end up selling the tort anyway, encourage them to give those notes to the buyer!

Whew- okay. Sorry about the rambling, I just know the run-around that rescues go through and I'm just trying to share so wisdom. I've been rescuing, rehabbing, and volunteering for 8 years with all different reptiles/ birds/ amphibians. I hope to now volunteer to help torts, because they seem to always be so under the radar!

Let me know if I can be of any help or if anyone wants to help me make these print-outs!

Yay for enthusiasm!!!!! You have some great ideas. I'll send you a PM tomorrow about some of this stuff, when I have more time.

Thanks to the new people who are interested or offering to be involved. I'm compiling a list of potential volunteers, sorted by location and species of interest (if indicated). Hopefully as things continue to move forward, we can become a true network of volunteers and foster homes to help torts all over the country.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Vegasarah said:

Print outs are a good source. I have found in my area that actually presenting the differences to schools(of all ages, even universities) the difference between a MBD with a healthy tortoise. It seems now days people can grasp the message your telling them by physical activity. Even taken some torts to parks and you will very quickly have a crowd sometimes even the news show up. Rather than a flier posted in the park about the information. I have found that many wars cannot be won but they can also not be lost. Its the strategy in which you decide to use in your favor. A handout is always a great follow up with lots of pictures and useful information. Even if a child at a school does not have an animal the chances are high they will eventually ask their parents for a pet. Most things are word of mouth or reputation. So if given the opportunity to show and educate the youth to professional students the little bit of useful information the percentage of success in achieving a goal. Whether that goal is small or large. Persistence pays off. I use this practice for our organization and it seems to show a good influence.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pet/3326220539.html

I've been keeping an eye on this one for a while and actually emailed him, but he did not respond. I texted him today and asked a few questions, he says that he has had them for 2-3 years and they have grown 2-3 inches in that time. they eat romaine, kale, grapes, dandelions and graze on grass. They are outside, so they get uva/ uvb. I think that this pyramiding is not form them but from the previous owners, their care seems to be good. But they are trying to re-home them, so I'm going to try and direct them to tell whoever buy them to check out this site. They probably paid a lot for these guys when they got them, so I know that they are reluctant to take too much less money for them.

What do you guys think? The pictures make it hard to tell, but I for sure see some pyramiding there. But not really too bad, honestly. I've seen a lot worse on this thread alone 0.0

Attachments

• tort 1.jpg
    tort 1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 19
  • tort 2.jpg
    tort 2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 16
  • tort 3.jpg
    tort 3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 24
  • tort 4.jpg
    tort 4.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 13
  • tort 5.jpg
    tort 5.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 14
  • tort 6.jpg
    tort 6.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 18

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Vegasarah said:

I've been keeping an eye on this one for a while and actually emailed him, but he did not respond. I texted him today and asked a few questions, he says that he has had them for 2-3 years and they have grown 2-3 inches in that time. they eat romaine, kale, grapes, dandelions and graze on grass. They are outside, so they get uva/ uvb. I think that this pyramiding is not form them but from the previous owners, their care seems to be good. But they are trying to re-home them, so I'm going to try and direct them to tell whoever buy them to check out this site. They probably paid a lot for these guys when they got them, so I know that they are reluctant to take too much less money for them.

What do you guys think? The pictures make it hard to tell, but I for sure see some pyramiding there. But not really too bad, honestly. I've seen a lot worse on this thread alone 0.0
My opinion. They look really good. They have slight pyramiding. But other then that there seems to be nothing else going on. They look pretty healthy to me. They should be able to get what they are asking for them.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Vegasarah said:

Yeah, they look pretty good. A little pyramiding, but not the asymmetrical kind we see with MBD. Whenever someone tells me their sullies go outside regularly and eat grass, I don't worry about them.