1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoise sellers?

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by William Lee Kohler, Nov 20, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. William Lee Kohler

William Lee Kohler Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Eugene, OR
    These 5 dealers have shown Hingeback Tortoises for sale and I'd like to know if anybody has had good or bad experience with any of them? Thanks for any response.

1.Underground Reptiles
    2.Backwater Reptiles
    3.Tortoise Town
    4.Snakes at Sunset
    5.HaHa Reptiles
    Gijoux likes this.
  2. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Ga
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    The two that I know of are backwater and tortoise town. Both of these companies have bad reputations. Personally I wouldn't buy an animal from either of them.
  3. SPILL

SPILL Active Member

Illinois
    1-3 should be avoided. I couldn't tell you on 4 & 5. If you check the hingeback section there are some very passionate Kinixys breeders. Your best bet may be to reach out to one of them.
    Gijoux likes this.
  4. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    I've known Ryan, the owner of Underground REPTILES for close to 30 years. Back when he was a kid selling reptiles out of a rental warehouse and calling himself "Box Of Snakes".
    He is honest. But his keeping of tortoises for sale is often not the best. This may be because he isn't at the store very often?
    For example, on one visit I saw hatchling Redfoot on rabbit pellets and the tortoises were actually coated in dust. Super dry, with no access to the enclosed high sided water bowl. On another visit he had a beaten up Redfoot housed with THREE Russians!
    So even though I think he would do you right through customer service, i can not actually recommend buying from his inventory sight unseen.
    And that's sad. Because he's a great guy. It seems that animal welfare has become not so important.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Kipley, Gijoux and Moozillion like this.
  5. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    The issue I also see - is that you just don't know where the animals came from. Most of them buy from any source they can find. Tortoise Town is constantly advertising for animals. I have even sold them some great aquatics. However, they will buy from most anyone. Some are good sources who care for or start babies correctly, while other sources are the ones that do not. Personally, I would opt for dealing with a private breeder I can talk to whenever possible.
    Gijoux, Moozillion and wccmog10 like this.
  6. William Lee Kohler

Eugene, OR
    "Personally, I would opt for dealing with a private breeder I can talk to whenever possible."

Completely agree! However as things stand today few of these are available and unless we want to wait years to start something with them or add to our colony we need to grab most any we find available if what we are looking for. Treat for internal parasites immediately and treat well to get established.
    Thanks for answering Mark.

Was at TTPG last week and even there there were just a few Hingeback folks and I don't think I got to talk to all of them. Also our informal gathering never happened so contact is quite hit and miss among us it seems.
    Gijoux likes this.
  7. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    Sorry I missed you there. We did have several informal gatherings and meals. All the tortoise forum folks we could identify and talk to. @Tom @kingsley @Kapidolo Farms @Olddog @Neal @NorCal tortoise guy @Grandpa Turtle 144 I had my Smart Enclosures set up in the lobby. Will - @Kapidolo Farms did one of the presentations. I thought the TFO folks there had introduced themselves so we could identify each other.
    Gijoux likes this.
  8. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    I know of several like this. Such a shame.
    Gijoux likes this.
  9. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    Sorry we missed you. I didn't know you were there. I check tortoise forum even while I'm out of town. Shoot me a message next year!
    Gijoux likes this.
  10. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    We spoke a bit at the TTPG conference. I would guess you saw the presentation from Jeremy Thompson and his colleague David. I can not speak on their behalf, but he would know best and may be sort out some animals as part of his greater cooperative program.

Sorry to say I don't recall his @name here on TFO, but a read through the Kinixys subforum will get you there.
    Gijoux likes this.
  11. William Lee Kohler

Eugene, OR
    Will (I believe) yes I saw every presentation and went on the field trip. Talked with Jeremy about gathering but he seemed a bit overwhelmed with things. Skipped thurs eve gathering because I needed more substantial American food instead of Thai but didn't get the impression Hingebacks was what it was about. At least there's been more contact now as well as knowledge added.
    Kapidolo Farms and Gijoux like this.
  12. William Lee Kohler

Eugene, OR
    I'd like to come in '20 but not at all sure the proper critter sitting will be available at my place:(. Otherwise will do.
    Gijoux likes this.
  13. Tortoise MasterMan

Tortoise MasterMan Member

Utah
    I have visited all of these websites, and this is what I have found
    1. Underground reptiles sell tortoise at low prices, but not sure about the tortoises are kept
    2. They seem alright overall, but I have never ordered from them
    3. Very high pricing
    4. Looks good, has good reviews, a little more pricy than the first two, but looks a lot better
    5. Most Reviews state that shipping took longer than expected, or that they had to spend a long time calling and texting the people before they would respond

I would always prefer to by from a (preferably local) private breeder. Private breeders are usually more reliable.
  14. William Lee Kohler

Eugene, OR
    That being said you don't happen to raise Hingebacks do you?
  15. Tortoise MasterMan

Tortoise MasterMan Member

Utah
  16. SPILL

SPILL Active Member

Illinois
    I've never dealt with them but have heard good things about Arizona Tortoise Compound. I believe he is a member here. They have Speke's hatchlings available.
  17. William Lee Kohler

Eugene, OR
    Thank you. Yes I have met Andrew. Spekes are the ones most easily available today and not what I'm looking for. While I have no room to set up for the jungle Homes or Schwiggers currently I am interested in all the other savannah types.