tortoise slept in the cold instead of heated house

Redfoot mamma

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My red foot tortoises were in their heated dog house last night. I found them all out of it this morning in 48 degree weather. I've brought them in and are slowly heating them back up will they be fine and what else should I do for them in the mean time. I'm going to fix their house where they won't have a choice to get in or out for the rest of these cold snaps

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only time will tell if they will be fine. We can't predict that. I've had things like this happen before where a tortoise was out in the cold over night, and usually one night of it, followed by a warm day after won't hurt anything. I usually up their heat for a week or two after an episode like this.

Adding a door will keep them in and keep predators and pests out. It will also keep your temps better and make your electric heater work less.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The forum lost an adult sulcata to a night in the cold. It's hard to say if yours will be effected or not.
My torts are in a heated shed for winter. However, in summer, they are always locked up at night no matter what the temps. Makes it easier to sleep at night knowing they are safe from anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is the keeper's responsibility to make sure the tortoises are put away every evening. We recently had a thread where a large sulcata stayed out in the cold at night and eventually died. Every night I go around to all the tortoise enclosures and make sure they're all in their night houses, then I close and lock the doors so they can't get out until I let them out.

When a tortoise has gotten cold clear through to his inner core, it takes a while to get him warmed all the way through. If they won't sit in the sun, I would put a light or a CHE in their shelter and block them in for a couple days.

Redfoot mamma

Texas
Thanks their moving around now and eating but I'll keep a close eye on them. I fixed it to where they can't get out now. Hopefully they will be fine I won't make this mistake again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For a while, I had 7 Redfooted tortoises and on colder nights, most but not all of them would get into the heated houses.
I always had to go outside and put at least two of them in the heat myself.
If you don't have the opportunity to make sure that they get placed into heated houses in below 52 degree temps, it might be time to invest in some large, plastic tubs and just bring them in ahead of time into a warm patio or garage/unused room. Free of drafts and not as cold.

Redfoot mamma

Texas
My torts are doing fine for the moment they seem to be just their normal selves for now. I'm still keeping my eye on them. They're active and eating so I think there fine. I guess I'll know with some more time thanks for all the advice.