Tortoise species unknown

Location (City and/or State)
Mexico
Hello, community,
I need everyone's help to know what's the species of the bigger tortoise in this picture. I know the little one is Texas tortoise. But I'm not sure that the bigger one is also that species.
IMG_20240509_113627.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bigger one looks like a DT, desert tortoise
They should not be together as different species should never be mixed and tortoises never kept in pairs. Hopefully they were put together just for the picture.

Mexico
Thanks for your response. Do you mean that the bigger one is a Gopherus agassizii?
I keep them separated by species but I have like 5 of each species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be a bolson's tortoise, native to Mexico.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yvonne you are probably right! Rare tortoise - Gopherus flavomarginatus. They grow huge. But these guys look dry and need more than lettuce in their diet, if that is what they are getting all the time? Maybe it's just for the picture.

Mexico
Yvonne you are probably right! Rare tortoise - Gopherus flavomarginatus. They grow huge. But these guys look dry and need more than lettuce in their diet, if that is what they are getting all the time? Maybe it's just for the picture.
Hello! Yeah, it was just for the picture. Diet includes prickly pear and other vegetables, sometimes with vitamins added. They live in grass outside with places to get sunlight or shadow.

Mexico
I've taken more pictures, because I'm still unsure after checking on Google.IMG_20240510_183818.jpgIMG_20240510_183816.jpgIMG_20240510_183801.jpgIMG_20240510_183807.jpg
IMG_20240510_183757.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Both look like berlandieri to me. A little deceiving with the aberrant 3dr ventral scute, as that is normally the widest ventral in only berlandieri. No picture of the gular as that is also an identifier with polyphemus having a rounded (or even sometimes single) gular and berlandieri - a forked gular. Also both have the classic wedged shape with the rear wider than middle or front.

From what I see 95% sure both berlandieri.

Mexico
Both look like berlandieri to me. A little deceiving with the aberrant 3dr ventral scute, as that is normally the widest ventral in only berlandieri. No picture of the gular as that is also an identifier with polyphemus having a rounded (or even sometimes single) gular and berlandieri - a forked gular. Also both have the classic wedged shape with the rear wider than middle or front.

Thanks for your very impressive explanation. I appreciate all the data.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I agree. I was going by size in the first picture, assuming the smaller tortoise was full size, making the other tortoise bigger than a Texas. But after seeing the larger tortoise in relationship with the human hand, I realize it's not as big as I thought