Tortoise spit up?

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Hi! My tortoise was eating grass when I noticed what looked like drool coming out of his mouth. When I got closer a lot more water came out, like he spit up while chewing. I took all his food away after this.

What could have been the cause of something like this? Today he’s primarily had wheat grass. He did drink a lot before eating, but had been eating for about 15 minutes before this happened.

zovick

10 Year Member!
He probably just burped up some of his water since you say he drank a lot before he ate. Unless he keeps regurgitating actual foodstuff, I would consider this as normal and not worry. Maybe just don't feed him till an hour or two after he drinks for a couple of days.

I think it would be OK to feed him late this afternoon and see what happens then. I predict all should be fine unless he has a real health problem.

peridot

NC
He probably just burped up some of his water since you say he drank a lot before he ate. Unless he keeps regurgitating actual foodstuff, I would consider this as normal and not worry. Maybe just don't feed him till an hour or two after he drinks for a couple of days.

I think it would be OK to feed him late this afternoon and see what happens then. I predict all should be fine unless he has a real health problem.

Is burping up water normal or common?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Is burping up water normal or common?
It happens occasionally, especially if they have taken a pretty long drink.

If the tortoise hasn't been throwing up actual food and doing so more than once, it should be nothing to worry about.

What kind of tortoise is he?

peridot

NC
It happens occasionally, especially if they have taken a pretty long drink.

If the tortoise hasn't been throwing up actual food and doing so more than once, it should be nothing to worry about.

What kind of tortoise is he?

He is a radiated.

zovick

10 Year Member!
He is a radiated.
I kept and bred Radiated Tortoises from 1965 to 2019 and can tell you from experience that some of mine did burp up water every once in a while. It was usually the larger ones. How big is he? Got any pix? From whom did you get him? He might even be descended from some of my stock. If you know his studbook number, I can tell you if that is the case.

peridot

NC
I kept and bred Radiated Tortoises from 1965 to 2019 and can tell you from experience that some of mine did burp up water every once in a while. It was usually the larger ones. How big is he? Got any pix? From whom did you get him? He might even be descended from some of my stock. If you know his studbook number, I can tell you if that is the case.

He’s 240g, so not that big! I can send you all the info I know on him.