Tortoise still sick

zlamanna41

Russian tortoise has been sick for a while now got him 3 months ago to help out a friend who couldnt do anything for him. I've been taking him to the vet for 2 and a half months. They say he has pneumonia and a vitamin deficiency. They insisted on a vitamin a supplement from a pharmacy. But, I've just given him foods high in vitamin a because i know they dont need THAT much and can get it naturally. He eats a little bit every other day but not much also refuses to eat any more. I've spent around 600$ in the last month he seemed like he was doing a little better but he wont open his eyes very often and he keeps his mouth partially open, especially when you touch his legs for some reason. They said he was done with the pneumonia shots and told me to keep up his vitamin supplements (calcium and vitamin a rich foods) but now on top of his eyes and mouth open his back legs are getting swollen. What can i do? I cant afford to take him to the vet anymore and the person who had him before me will take him back but cany do anything either.

If anyone around here lives by louisville and wants to have him and help him out you can take him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G may have some advice for you.
In the mean time, be sure his temps are correct and that he can bask under 95-100 heat light. Check out the adult Russian caresheet in the Russian section and follow it. While sick though, don't let temps drop below 80. Try warm water soaks and add puréed baby food carrots and some flavorless piedialyte to the warm water soaks.
Good luck, sure hope it comes around.

zlamanna41

Thank you very much. I've been trying to keep his temps up they sit around 85 ill have to try a stronger bulb. Ill try the baby food thing. Thanks again :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you very much. I've been trying to keep his temps up they sit around 85 ill have to try a stronger bulb. Ill try the baby food thing. Thanks again :)
80-85 is fine as an over all temp. However, they need to be able to sit under hotter temp bulb, 95-100 to be able to digest their food. If they can't digest it, they will stop eating and could get sick.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Please post pictures of your enclosure and lighting as they will help us to help you get things right.

You need to accurately know the 4 important temperatures: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum. A digital thermometer is essential- a temperature gun type is inexpensive from Amazon.

Your tort must be getting UVB to process dietary calcium. A tiny pinch of calcium powder should be added to food three times a week and a cuttlebone (found in the pet store bird section) left in the enclosure for him to chew on.

Your tort must also have 95F-100F directly under the basking lamp otherwise it cannot digest its food properly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The swollen back legs might mean he's starting to retain water - something wrong with his kidneys. I can help you with first aid type things, or respiratory infection symptoms, but when you get into the things a vet needs to help you with, I'm over my head. Sorry.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Russian tortoise has been sick for a while now got him 3 months ago to help out a friend who couldnt do anything for him. I've been taking him to the vet for 2 and a half months. They say he has pneumonia and a vitamin deficiency. They insisted on a vitamin a supplement from a pharmacy. But, I've just given him foods high in vitamin a because i know they dont need THAT much and can get it naturally. He eats a little bit every other day but not much also refuses to eat any more. I've spent around 600$ in the last month he seemed like he was doing a little better but he wont open his eyes very often and he keeps his mouth partially open, especially when you touch his legs for some reason. They said he was done with the pneumonia shots and told me to keep up his vitamin supplements (calcium and vitamin a rich foods) but now on top of his eyes and mouth open his back legs are getting swollen. What can i do? I cant afford to take him to the vet anymore and the person who had him before me will take him back but cany do anything either.

If anyone around here lives by louisville and wants to have him and help him out you can take him.
From what I have heard and read about torts, they are very tough. They can survive in really unfavorable conditions for a long time and it takes a lot to get them down but once they are sick, it takes a long time to get them well. And they often do! Get well even after a long illness. There are several keepers here that have first hand experience with it. Thank you for all you've done trying to help this animal. Keep her nice and toasty (80-85f) with high humidity. What does the vet say about the swelling?