tortoise tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikifrog

5 Year Member
Greetings All,

I have a moveable corral that I use to let my large sulcatas graze on the lawn. It's made out of three rails of 1" horizontal conduit. I'd like to sheath it somehow to make it opaque. Have any suggestions as to what material would be best? It needs to be light weight as the fence is in 10' sections. My wife doesn't want a permanent enclosure around the lawn. I've thought of using 60 mil thick bamboo rhizome barrier, but can't find it in an 18" width, only 24 and 30", plus it's pretty expensive! I think a height of 18" would be sufficient. I need at least 60-80 feet of material. Of course cost is a big issue too. I appreciate your input!

Best,

John

Attachments

• sulc6.jpg
    sulc6.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 133

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
Just looking at your pic.---- would you consider the pickets you can get to replace small fences and attach each one to the existing sections----or at the dollar store they have the grass mats that you can buy for use at the beach and you could attach to your sections[don't know how well they would hold up in weather.] There is also "willow fencing" or poly tarp and it could be attached with the gromets that are already on the mat. Just a thought

Just looking at your pic.---- would you consider the pickets you can get to replace small fences and attach each one to the existing sections----or at the dollar store they have the grass mats that you can buy for use at the beach and you could attach to your sections[don't know how well they would hold up in weather.] There is also "willow fencing" or poly tarp and it could be attached with the gromets that are already on the mat. Just a thought. BTW-- your Sulcata is beautiful!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a tortoise that size, I'd want something pretty sturdy. I'd just use thin plywood, but you probably already thought of that and eliminated it.

tikifrog

5 Year Member
Thanks for the ideas. I do need something fairly sturdy. I'd thought about using luan plywood but since the rails are ten feet I'd like to use something that long or in a roll than can be cut to size.

M

Maggie Cummings

What about lattice? I love it and most tortoises don't push into the barrier when they have great graze already there. You can get lattice sections and then overlap them so the tort can't see thru. I think that would work...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Why can't you just let him have the whole yard? He looks plenty big enough to get the whole space. Of course, you wife might not appreciate him plowing through the plants.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I want a picture of your tort up close Please!!!!Or is it here somewhere already?
Thanks Na

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Your Sulcata looks huge! How big is it? I was thinking that he would need the whole yard also although that might not be an option where your wife is concerned. ;)

tikifrog

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
What about lattice? I love it and most tortoises don't push into the barrier when they have great graze already there. You can get lattice sections and then overlap them so the tort can't see thru. I think that would work...

I tried a plastic material that was like a fine lattice, with 1/2" holes, and they constantly tried forcing their way through and two climbed it. I'd really like to find an opaque non abrasive material.

emysemys said:
Why can't you just let him have the whole yard? He looks plenty big enough to get the whole space. Of course, you wife might not appreciate him plowing through the plants.

I'd like to give them all the space I can but I have a pond too, and a lot of carnivorous plants and tropical ornamentals that I'd prefer to keep.

Nay said:
I want a picture of your tort up close Please!!!!Or is it here somewhere already?
Thanks Na

I have three sulcatas, they range from 20" to 25". I have more pics in this post:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-16157.html[hr]
here's a pic of Neo:

Attachments

• neo.jpg
    neo.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 31

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I gotta agree with Maggie on this one...don't see him barrelling through this when the quality of eats is this good...of course it needs to be bigger but I don't see him destroying the building materials...it's actually kind of ingenious in its simplicity:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jacqui's idea is good. You could also make a joint with a 2x4 to extend the plywood and make 10 foot sections. Just butt an 8 foot section up against a 2' section and put a 2x4 behind the joint. Screw it in to both sides of the plywood and you are done.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Jacqui's idea is good. You could also make a joint with a 2x4 to extend the plywood and make 10 foot sections. Just butt an 8 foot section up against a 2' section and put a 2x4 behind the joint. Screw it in to both sides of the plywood and you are done.

HMMM! That's excellent too!;)

tikifrog

5 Year Member
Thanks All for your great ideas! I'm going to go to a recycled building materials yard tomorrow and see what I can find. I like the fiberglass roofing panels. Hopefully they have some there.

Status
Not open for further replies.