Tortoise walked away outside-- any ideas to attract him back?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
As an update-- we located this Eastern Hermann's and it is unfortunately not Chip. We are helping the folks who found this tortoise to get it into a good home!
I'm so sorry to hear that it's not Chip. Better to know then not knowing. I hope you find Chip

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I'm sorry he was not Chip. At least you are able to help this one.

Chip come out come wherever you are!
I know, it is frustrating. We are in Southeastern PA so he might not have survived the winter here, though he was a resourceful guy and I'm optimistic. He came to us with a respiratory infection. We did a vet-prescribed treatment and it got much better, but not completely better. And we have foxes and occasional hawks around here, so all these things worry me, but I'm remaining hopeful!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I know, it is frustrating. We are in Southeastern PA so he might not have survived the winter here, though he was a resourceful guy and I'm optimistic. He came to us with a respiratory infection. We did a vet-prescribed treatment and it got much better, but not completely better. And we have foxes and occasional hawks around here, so all these things worry me, but I'm remaining hopeful!
I remain hopeful (for you) as well!! Just keep looking. Best wishes

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
WE GOT CHOP BACK! Well, we think it's him...We are keeping him either way!

The left side is Chip in 2021 (he was a rescue, we were not responsible for the pyramiding). The right is the one we now have. It looks like some of the yellow lines filled in and he has a bit more yellow, and has grown in the past few years.

In 2021 experts here thought he was 3-5 so that would make sense if he still had some growing to do. And our other tortoises have had similar shell patterns fill in a little like that.

His behaviors are the exact same, he walks the same paths, lies the same way. So exciting!

He was found 8 miles away. He is a BIG walker, so we think possible that he walked, or that someone found him and then let him go.

Thank you all for the encouragement and support since last September.

Attachments

• 2021 and2024.png
    2021 and2024.png
    480.8 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sure does look like yours, but no way to 100% ID.
However, you should check to be sure someone in your area also hasn't lost one. Check CL, local neighborhood groups, etc. if it wasn't yours, you shouldn't keep it until you have tried to find the rightful owners. If none is found, then it's yours to keep.
If you had a 100% positive way to ID that he's the one you lost, then trying to find a owner wouldn't be needed.
Never fair or nice to keep a lost tortoise without first trying to find the rightful owners.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
In the area where he was found no one is missing him. I know because he was spotted there, but not picked up the first time, so I put flyers in all mailboxes, local business, on the Facebook and all online groups, etc. I've checked all the lost pet forums daily and no one has posted. Today 2 little girls found him and the parents still had my flyer.

His mannerisms are exactly Chip (and different from our others). He looks a little more sunken in/ skinny which is making his limbs look longer, presumably from walking and being out on his own for so long (or maybe someone had him and released). He has had 2 good soaks and is eating his favorites dandelion greens, clover and a little radicchio voraciously.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I agree with Wellington just for your conscience sake make sure. But the tort sure does look like the same one. Wow 8 miles away!!! That's a miracle. Did people see you looking and turn the darling over to you? How did you get Chip back 🤗

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
In the area where he was found no one is missing him. I know because he was spotted there, but not picked up the first time, so I put flyers in all mailboxes, local business, on the Facebook and all online groups, etc. I've checked all the lost pet forums daily and no one has posted. Today 2 little girls found him and the parents still had my flyer.

His mannerisms are exactly Chip (and different from our others). He looks a little more sunken in/ skinny which is making his limbs look longer, presumably from walking and being out on his own for so long (or maybe someone had him and released). He ha
I'm so happy for you! I think it's Chip. 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢💞

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Congratulations -that's so wonderful !!!!!
Perhaps you might want to get him microchipped as an added precaution now, though I don't suppose he will be given the slightest chance to wander off again. I expect he is really happy to be back with you !
Angie

MaNaAk

Southend

His mannerisms are exactly Chip (and different from our others). He looks a little more sunken in/ skinny which is making his limbs look longer, presumably from walking and being out on his own for so long (or maybe someone had him and released). He has had 2 good soaks and is eating his favorites dandelion greens, clover and a little radicchio voraciously.
Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm so pleased!!!!;

Natrah