Tortoise's eyes not quiet right

youngyoda

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hey everyone!

My uncle got my sister a red footed tortoise yesterday I was checking the torotise out today and the20240118_161052.jpg eyes aren't looking right.

Attachments

• 20240118_161031.jpg
    20240118_161031.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@ZEROPILOT

I can't really tell what might be going on. Do you know what type of lighting was used?
Try giving it a warm water soak for 30 minutes keeping the tort and water warm the whole time. Gently use a cotton ball or soft rag to wipe over the eye and see if this helps.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You're correct.
Somethingis very wrong.
I'd also like to see the lighting. And the entire enclosure.
There might be more than one thing that needs to be addressed. But I would suggest turning off the lights and just keep him warm until we see if you have a MVB or a COILED or COMPACT bulb that sometimes damage the eyes.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and thanks for your good observation of a problem with the eyes. Our experienced people here are already giving you the best possible help and sound advice, so stay with us!

youngyoda

Ontario
You're correct.
Somethingis very wrong.
I'd also like to see the lighting. And the entire enclosure.
There might be more than one thing that needs to be addressed. But I would suggest turning off the lights and just keep him warm until we see if you have a MVB or a COILED or COMPACT bulb that sometimes damage the eyes.
Hey,

So at the shop they had a uvb bulb and a basking light. As for the home set up, we have it in a 50 gallon aquarium which we will change into a wooden enclosure over the weekend and a UVB tube light with a ceramic heater at night. We also have soil bedding, spider plant, two wooden hides and a repptifogger for humidity.
Thanks

youngyoda

Ontario
@ZEROPILOT

I can't really tell what might be going on. Do you know what type of lighting was used?
Try giving it a warm water soak for 30 minutes keeping the tort and water warm the whole time. Gently use a cotton ball or soft rag to wipe over the eye and see if this helps.
Hey! Just tried this and his eyes do open but one side more then the other. Looking at his eyes they look very dry and he's less reactive when using the cotton ball

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey! Just tried this and his eyes do open but one side more then the other. Looking at his eyes they look very dry and he's less reactive when using the cotton ball
My guess is that his eyes are irritated from incorrect lighting.
Your tube uvb should fix that.