tortoise's plastron is soft and black

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It does sort of look like a cross beween a sulcata and a leopard. It has sulcata front legs and speckled skin like a leopard.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
After years of headstarting new tortoises for a buncha years, I always recommend that their food be cut up. Yes, I know there is no one in the wild to cut up their food...but I am a mother, a grandmother, a great grandmother and a boss and I say yes, they can make bites. BUT we have small sometimes weak hatchlings and cutting up their food simply makes it easier for them and helps to conserve energy. That's just one of the things I do to make life easier for them.

jack0310

Hongkong
It does sort of look like a cross beween a sulcata and a leopard. It has sulcata front legs and speckled skin like a leopard.
When I bought it at the pet store, it was in a 24inch glass fish tank with about a dozen companions. There was no pool. There was a UVB bulb and a heating lamp on the ceiling. I think the humidity was 40. I have no impression of the temperature. There were two There were white spots on them and he was one of them. The salesperson said they were all leopard tortoises. I chose him because of the unique color and pattern. But last week I was told by the veterinarian that he was probably not a leopard tortoise but a hybrid. As far as I know Most of its companions are already dead. pet store reason is that the tortoise species has a high chance of dying in infancy. It is a natural phenomenon that most hatchlings will die if their health is not good enough.

jack0310

Hongkong
After years of headstarting new tortoises for a buncha years, I always recommend that their food be cut up. Yes, I know there is no one in the wild to cut up their food...but I am a mother, a grandmother, a great grandmother and a boss and I say yes, they can make bites. BUT we have small sometimes weak hatchlings and cutting up their food simply makes it easier for them and helps to conserve energy. That's just one of the things I do to make life easier for them.
Thanks for the guidance, I agree, it will get processed food!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for the guidance, I agree, it will get processed food!
Don't cut hard food like cactus, carrot and pumpkin into chunks that can choke your tortoise. Grater these or feed them in large whole pieces, like a whole cactus pad, to avoid choking.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
a good sign , Today is the processing of leaves
Looks delicious :)))

I forgot to mention this, but it could be a good idea to weight him every day or every other day. He should be gaining weight little by a little and steady weight loss could be a sign of trouble.

jack0310

Hongkong
Looks delicious :)))

I forgot to mention this, but it could be a good idea to weight him every day or every other day. He should be gaining weight little by a little and steady weight loss could be a sign of trouble.
It was 34g on Tuesday and 36g today, but it is not very interested in the cut leaves and will only eat them if they are brought to its mouth.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It was 34g on Tuesday and 36g today, but it is not very interested in the cut leaves and will only eat them if they are brought to its mouth.
You can try to wet Mazuri or Rep-cal pellets, mush them with fork and mix with greens. This may help him to eat more.

Weight can go up and down a little from day to day (depending on hydration, appetite, poo and so). That's why it is important to monitor it on a regular basis.

jack0310

Hongkong
Minimum weight Dec 33 Jan 35

When comparing the photos, lines appear, Getting better?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240103-153246_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-153246_Photos.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240103-153244_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-153244_Photos.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240103-153257_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-153257_Photos.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240103-153259_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240103-153259_Photos.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 6

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Thanks for coming back with an update!
Dark lines on a plastron are probably from substrate, but for me it seems that both plastron and shell look more healthy.

What about his behaviour and appetite? Is he active and eats a lot?

jack0310

Hongkong
Thank for your reply. appetite and activity level have improved compared to before, but my food intake is not large, but I still excrete it every day!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank for your reply. appetite and activity level have improved compared to before, but my food intake is not large, but I still excrete it every day!
Do you mix greens with Mazuri or Rep-Cal? Doing this more often (e.g. 3 times a week) should improve his appetite and help gain some weight.

jack0310

Hongkong
Do you mix greens with Mazuri or Rep-Cal? Doing this more often (e.g. 3 times a week) should improve his appetite and help gain some weight.
mix greens with Mazuri. it stopped eating and only ate mazuri, / mulberry leaves in their original form. Now it sleeps less and is more active, but does not gain weight. There seems to be something wrong with the feces and there is some mucus!

Attachments

• P_20240117_142444.jpg
    P_20240117_142444.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 3

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you for returning with an update!

Honestly, I don't know what can that be. Mucus can be the sign of indigestion because of the wrong temperatures (but I remember, that you got them right) or intestinal parasites...

You've mentioned that he has been treated for parasites earlier. What was the medication, how many doses were administered and when?

jack0310

Hongkong
it was given medicine by the veterinarian before, so I need to check the feces again if necessary.