Torts got photo bombed

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So. Cal desert
10462763_10202388292532060_1687034306043785132_n.jpg

This dog always has to be center of attention. And for those who may be wondering ... Kona, the sulcata on the left had a spinal fracture, likely as a hatchling. Vet said possibly was stepped on or something fell on him. He was an adult when I got him. The fracture has caused a partial paralysis of his rear legs which also resulted in a penal amputation when he reached maturity. Otherwise he is a typical onery male sully and gets around just fine by scooting his rear legs under him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Great picture. My daughter has a "water" dog too. Loves chasing the hose.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
10462763_10202388292532060_1687034306043785132_n.jpg

This dog always has to be center of attention. And for those who may be wondering ... Kona, the sulcata on the left had a spinal fracture, likely as a hatchling. Vet said possibly was stepped on or something fell on him. He was an adult when I got him. The fracture has caused a partial paralysis of his rear legs which also resulted in a penal amputation when he reached maturity. Otherwise he is a typical onery male sully and gets around just fine by scooting his rear legs under him.

LOVE LOVE LOVE it...good dog....lol..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm curious so does he use his front legs to move?

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
I'm curious so does he use his front legs to move?
Actually he can use his rear legs. He just cant get his feet 'under' him. They lay kinda flat as it would be when torts are resting. He 'shuffles' them along as a baby would crawl. When he really wants to get moving he extends his front legs for a better 'lift' .... he also does that when he needs to potty. I do have to clean him often because his stools cant get past his shell very well. I've had the shell shaved a little hoping it would help but it did only a little. Its also why I had to have the amputation when he matured and started 'displaying' .... it could come out but he couldn't pull it back in. He was only 18lbs when I got him and has almost tripled his weight so it isn't affecting his growth.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Great picture. It always amazes me what tortoises can survive, and still thrive. I love these stories of special people and special tortoises. Glad he has you to take such good care of him.