Tortstork sent a Xmas Miracle!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Had quite the scare yesterday. Normally when I put her in for a soak she just sits there and relaxes. Yesterday I put her in for a soak and left the room for just a few minutes. When I returned she was flipped upside down in her soak. Luckily the water was not high enough for her to drown. I quickly righted her and put her back in her enclosure and she went straight to the dish and started eating. So all is well, she seems fine but no more unsupervised soaks!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Had quite the scare yesterday. Normally when I put her in for a soak she just sits there and relaxes. Yesterday I put her in for a soak and left the room for just a few minutes. When I returned she was flipped upside down in her soak. Luckily the water was not high enough for her to drown. I quickly righted her and put her back in her enclosure and she went straight to the dish and started eating. So all is well, she seems fine but no more unsupervised soaks!
Yip happens in a split second. You have to watch them worse than you would a real baby. Never out of eye sight when soaking. Glad she is okay. Just keep an eye out on her for a couple of days. Sometimes the symptoms can come later. Try and make the enclosure just a little bit warmer for a day or two to make sure she is okay and does not come down with anything.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yip happens in a split second. You have to watch them worse than you would a real baby. Never out of eye sight when soaking. Glad she is okay. Just keep an eye out on her for a couple of days. Sometimes the symptoms can come later. Try and make the enclosure just a little bit warmer for a day or two to make sure she is okay and does not come down with anything.
Ya I'm going to keep an eye on her. That's the first time she flipped herself. Normally she's not really a climber or adventurer.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Ya I'm going to keep an eye on her. That's the first time she flipped herself. Normally she's not really a climber or adventurer.

How scary!!!! Adventuresome little heifer now.... MAybe they’re like children... if the first one is good, u should probably stop there [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I speak under correction, but I think there is a small period when they do flip themselves once or twice. When just hatched they hide more and then when they get more comfortable they get a little bolder and flip themselves until they learn better. Well that is what I have observed at least. But I have not been doing this for long enough. So I may be wrong.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I speak under correction, but I think there is a small period when they do flip themselves once or twice. When just hatched they hide more and then when they get more comfortable they get a little bolder and flip themselves until they learn better. Well that is what I have observed at least. But I have not been doing this for long enough. So I may be wrong.
Murphy flips himself over almost weekly. It doesn't matter how big his enclosure is. He just likes climbing and getting into stuff. Haven't quite noticed that curiosity yet with Marge but your probably right because she's a hatchling she's not that bold yet.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I can’t believe how much she’s grown already!!! Awesome!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I feel like she’s part mine after watching her progress from hatch [emoji214][emoji5]

Are you still working on your RES pond?
A lot of people have been following. I feel like there's extra pressure to grow her shell smooth lol. I haven't even started the pond yet. I decided I want to do it outside on my car port so I was waiting till it warms up a bit.