Total body edema

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
The vet's office called late this afternoon with the first of the lab results: her blood count is fine, so infection is not the problem.
That doesn't surprise me, since this is totally different from how she's ever been when she was sick before.
We should get the kidney and liver tests back some time tomorrow.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh my! I am so sorry for the horrific shock you must have had when you found your baby like that!

My prayers are with you and Jacques...I so desperately want her to recover and be well for many more years.

Blessings to you both [emoji120]

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Bea, I'm so sorry to hear about Jacques having such a tough time lately (and I'm sure things can't be easy for you, either). Bold and Pinstripe are pulling for their favorite "celebrity" and hope Jacques gets well soon!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Oh my! I am so sorry for the horrific shock you must have had when you found your baby like that!

My prayers are with you and Jacques...I so desperately want her to recover and be well for many more years.

Blessings to you both [emoji120]
Thank you so much, KarenSoCal!:<3:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Bea, I'm so sorry to hear about Jacques having such a tough time lately (and I'm sure things can't be easy for you, either). Bold and Pinstripe are pulling for their favorite "celebrity" and hope Jacques gets well soon!
Thank you so much, PastelTortie!:<3:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Y'all, I am gobsmacked. ( learned that word when I worked overseas: "gobsmacked: British slang for utterly astounded, astonished." )

The vet's office called and ALL OF JACQUES LABS ARE ENTIRELY NORMAL!!!
She is moving well, the swelling is down and I can bring her home.
:eek::eek::eek: BUT THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HAPPENED. :confused::confused::confused:

When the tech told me this, i was totally stunned. I even doubted my own perception (SERIOUSLY) for a moment and blurted out to her "But I didn't IMAGINE the whole thing- she was swollen!!" The tech laughed (but kindly and reassuringly) and said "Oh, no- you didn't imagine it! We all saw her. But she's fine now and she can come home!"
I asked if I should keep her dry docked for a while, so the tech went to ask the doctor that, and came back saying that no, she didn't need to be dry docked. I could just put her back in her tank like always and she can resume normal activities. I will confess, that I was just a TEENY bit disappointed that he vet didn't get on the phone himself to discuss this or any precautions. But he did tell her to tell me that if it happens again, he wants to consult the vet school about it.

But I am NOT reassured. WHAT THE F**** HAPPENED TO MY TURTLE?!!?!?!!??
HOW DO WE KNOW IT WON'T JUST HAPPEN AGAIN??!?!??!?? If this had occurred in the wee hours of the morning when we were still asleep, I WOULD have found her dead instead of the way she was. I just don't understand.

Don't get me wrong: I'm THRILLED that Jacques is ok- except that SHE'S NOT!!!! SOMETHING VERY BAD happened to her that could have killed her had I not found her when I did (she was so weak she could barely move, and clearly couldn't right herself or stretch up to the surface to breathe).
Since we have NO idea what happened, HOW CAN I PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN??!?!??

Sorry if I'm ranting- just a bit of a roller coaster here.
And I understand that if the doc can't figure out what's wrong, that's just how things go- I GET that. But I would have felt a LITTLE better if he had told me himself instead of giving the message to the tech. it feels like they've quit worrying about it and moved on.
But I'll have her home with me, wondering how to keep her safe.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Y'all, I am gobsmacked. ( learned that word when I worked overseas: "gobsmacked: British slang for utterly astounded, astonished." )

:eek::eek::eek: BUT THEY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT HAPPENED. :confused::confused::confused:

When the tech told me this, i was totally stunned. I even doubted my own perception (SERIOUSLY) for a moment and blurted out to her "But I didn't IMAGINE the whole thing- she was swollen!!" The tech laughed (but kindly and reassuringly) and said "Oh, no- you didn't imagine it! We all saw her. But she's fine now and she can come home!"
I asked if I should keep her dry docked for a while, so the tech went to ask the doctor that, and came back saying that no, she didn't need to be dry docked. I could just put her back in her tank like always and she can resume normal activities. I will confess, that I was just a TEENY bit disappointed that he vet didn't get on the phone himself to discuss this or any precautions. But he did tell her to tell me that if it happens again, he wants to consult the vet school about it.

HOW DO WE KNOW IT WON'T JUST HAPPEN AGAIN??!?!??!?? If this had occurred in the wee hours of the morning when we were still asleep, I WOULD have found her dead instead of the way she was. I just don't understand.

Don't get me wrong: I'm THRILLED that Jacques is ok- except that SHE'S NOT!!!! SOMETHING VERY BAD happened to her that could have killed her had I not found her when I did (she was so weak she could barely move, and clearly couldn't right herself or stretch up to the surface to breathe).
Since we have NO idea what happened, HOW CAN I PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN??!?!??

And I understand that if the doc can't figure out what's wrong, that's just how things go- I GET that. But I would have felt a LITTLE better if he had told me himself instead of giving the message to the tech. it feels like they've quit worrying about it and moved on.
Yes, excellent news, but a bit of disappointment. I also would be seriously concerned about it happening again, but you don't know that it will.

God healed her this time, with no "help" from the vet. Accept that with thanks and move on.

Bring her home and love her. [emoji178][emoji217]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yes, excellent news, but a bit of disappointment. I also would be seriously concerned about it happening again, but you don't know that it will.

God healed her this time, with no "help" from the vet. Accept that with thanks and move on.

Bring her home and love her. [emoji178][emoji217]
So true!!!!
:):<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:
THANK you!!!!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida

Bea, feel free to rant. Your experiences with Jacques give me a better idea what to keep in mind when dealing with Bold and Pinstripe.

You mentioned a while ago that Jacques was flipping (falling?) onto her back any time she was in a dry container and tried to climb out.

Any chance she just hit her head hard one of those times? I mean, we know Jacques can be hard-headed... ;)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Bea, feel free to rant. Your experiences with Jacques give me a better idea what to keep in mind when dealing with Bold and Pinstripe.

You mentioned a while ago that Jacques was flipping (falling?) onto her back any time she was in a dry container and tried to climb out.

Any chance she just hit her head hard one of those times? I mean, we know Jacques can be hard-headed... ;)

Thanks, PastelTortie![emoji2]
No, I doubt she ever hit her head. At least from what I saw, she would try to climb up the side of her (plastic)!container, reach up too far, slide down in her side and the roll onto her back.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Bea, Jacques may not like it, but maybe you should consider testing her ability to flip herself back over. Like when you have her in a dry container, laying her gently on her back and making sure she can right herself without assistance. You can also pay close attention to how Jacques in particular tries to right herself. It may give you clues about subtle hazards or possible tweaks to make in the tank, to make it easier for Jacques to right herself.

I don't know what a mud turtle exercise program would look like, to build up those muscles needed to right herself, but if Jacques has difficulty with that in a dry container, we may be able to come up with something... We have creative people on here!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Bea. Do you think maybe it could be an allergy? Perhaps something you are feeding her but not all the time, or something in her enclosure?
Anyway I am glad she is better! Such a relief.:):<3:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Bea. Do you think maybe it could be an allergy? Perhaps something you are feeding her but not all the time, or something in her enclosure?
Anyway I am glad she is better! Such a relief.:):<3:

When I went to pick her up, I asked about a possible allergy. The vet said she’s never heard or read any professional article about turtles having allergies.
I'm hoping it doesn't happen again!