Tree stump ideas

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
We cut down a palm tree and I was thinking that there could be a way I could use them in my pens!
I'm not a creative person at all but I was hoping you guys could brainstorm and give me some!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1467096309.402723.jpg

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I'm not sure if palms are toxic, or this one specifically, so that would be the first step.

As far as building something, the limit is only what tools and skills you have. One carved into a bowl might make a good food dish. Although I honestly never use food dishes.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've never found a good use for them. But I'll give you a tip....Let them sit there for a few weeks and they pieces become as light as a feather. After a few months, the stumps can be pulled apart and removed by hand. Those palms are like 99% water.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Thanks guys!
I will let them sit a while and dry out.
I have some time before I do anything with them but I do like the site barrier idea!

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Had another idea. Stain them, seal them, and use them for stepping stones.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Palms are great. However these being cut so small, you will have to do what Yvonne recommended. This weekend if I remember I'll snap a picture of a hollowed out Palm stalk. They work fantastic as hides. Requires using a chainsaw though to hollow them out.

Palms aren't toxic btw. Many fruit some tasty snacks for tortoises. Date palms being one species. What is commonly called a "sago Palm" is actually a cycad and not a Palm at all. Those are toxic indeed to numerous species of animals.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm crying my eyes out. I love palm trees and can't have them and you guys are cutting them up. Such a sad sad day. Whatever you make of them, a pic would be nice

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'm crying my eyes out. I love palm trees and can't have them and you guys are cutting them up. Such a sad sad day. Whatever you make of them, a pic would be nice

Sorry Barb:(
It had to go! It was leaning on the power lines that run across the yard to our house. It was a Mexican palm that was planted in the wrong place.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Maybe I can stack a couple and lay wood over them to make a shade shelter.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'll clarify that mine was a giant Royal palm.
Maybe a different species.
When I cut it down (kept catching on fire. Power lines)It weighted more than a steam train. It hit the ground like a meteorite!
I cut it in sections and rolled them into a pile to wait for garbage bulk pickup day. Dreading having to move all of it again.
When the day came, I went to go move the bunch of them out to the curb (3 weeks) and found that all of it was a light weight, crumbly mess. They would fall apart with almost no pressure. No way could I had made anything out of them. And the stump I removed by stomping on it and then shoveling it out a month or so later.
This tree was about 22" thick and at least 45-50 feet tall.
I wonder if a Mexican and Royal palm are related?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'll clarify that mine was a giant Royal palm.
Maybe a different species.
When I cut it down (kept catching on fire. Power lines)It weighted more than a steam train. It hit the ground like a meteorite!
I cut it in sections and rolled them into a pile to wait for garbage bulk pickup day. Dreading having to move all of it again.
When the day came, I went to go move the bunch of them out to the curb (3 weeks) and found that all of it was a light weight, crumbly mess. They would fall apart with almost no pressure. No way could I had made anything out of them. And the stump I removed by stomping on it and then shoveling it out a month or so later.
This tree was about 22" thick and at least 45-50 feet tall.
I wonder if a Mexican and Royal palm are related?

Not sure but I'll keep my eye on it!
I just realized that we are in Mexico for a week and my gardener may have put it up to the street. I never told him to hold off.
I'll found out Wednesday.