Trying to move my baby outside?

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland tx
Hello everyone I apologize for not being on in a while life has been so hectic here.... Hiccup is doing great and seams to be growing ;) he is almost out of room in his enclosure now and I have been trying to figure out an outdoor set up for hin/her but can't seam to find anything on line about transferrng them out side. Everything I have found has been for babies in side or Big ones out side but nothing for the first transfer.... I know that it will have to be buried and have a top on it so no prey can get him/her , and a couple of hides but is there anything else I need? Or do ? Any advice was he very appreciated and taken to heart:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First, what size is your tortoise?

I have indoor and outdoor enclosures for all of my tortoises and use them from day one. Small babies get an hour of outside time 3-4 times a week. 5-6" babies get to be outside most of the day, weather permitting. So for my tortoises, it is not indoors one day and outdoors the next. This is how I suggest you make the transition. Then when the weather is nice, and your heated night box is built and ready to go, you can just leave them out there one night, safely locked in their night box.

Cleveland tx
he/shoiklle is about 3.5 inches and is around 8 months old i believe

Attachments

• 1524083054159233156836.jpg
    1524083054159233156836.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
he/shoiklle is about 3.5 inches and is around 8 months old i believe
I'd start with no more than a couple hours a day in the outdoor enclosure during fair weather. Work your way up to three hours, and add more time as the tortoise grows. After the outside time is up, bring your tortoise in for a soak and let it spend the rest of its time in its large indoor closed chamber. This method will yield the best results and a very healthy tortoise.

You'll need something around 4x8 feet to get the tortoise large enough to live outside full time with a heated night box.

daniellenc

Maryland
For now I think that's fine as long as you take Tom's suggestion and only allow him outside time a few hours a day because of it's size. I would be careful where you place it outside and find a partly shady area where no toxic plants are growing.

Cleveland tx
I love that! It looks amazing maybe when he isn't working this winter he can build me something like that for next year

Cleveland tx
The ones with the wire roofs . I love the pool idea but we have so many Hawks poor hiccup wouldn't last no time with out a roof lol