Turtle Bleeding from Mouth

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
He's doing better, I think he may survive!

He ate for the first time last night (blood worms, better than nothing) and his poop is not bloody anymore. He is still bleeding from the mouth when he gets nervous, so I'm basically just leaving him alone in an empty room where no one can bother him...except feeding time. He doesn't like being handled, and he certainly does not like the shots I need to give him. Very uncooperative!

I'm thinking about naming him Tama since he's improved so much in the past few days. Fingers crossed!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I love the name! He probably associated Es you with painful and unpleasant stuff he's been going through, not realizing that you are saving his life. I think that once the shots are done and you get him to normal daily routine he'll start looking forward to seeing you

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I hope so! My Redfoot Charlotte was the same way. Now every time I go by, she comes right out! ...Probably because I am the food god.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Things are looking good, I brought home some nightcrawlers last night and he ate a whole bunch of them! I feed him in a separate bin to keep the tank clean.

I found another worm in his tank...not sure if its another parasite he had in him? I thumbnailed it if anyone can ID it...

His head is doing better too, I'm still putting ointment on the old wound and I found a little sore on his back right leg. Pictures also attached. Put some neosporin on it just in case.

No more blood, but I did notice he had a cut that had some blood remnants on his lower beak...and his pee is kind of green with little green, not living squigglies

IMG_0419.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0421.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He looks quite perky and healthy now, a pretty little thing.:)
Unlike the worm, which does seem to be another parasite, looks different to me, some sort of nematode I would guess.
Well done, you!! I think he'll be okay! :)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
The worm was actually alive...it's been a week since his vet visit. Think I'll need to give this guy a second dosage of de-wormer? I know the vet told me it should be administered after 10 days of the first dose...but he never gave me the de-wormer to take home. He wasn't even positive that this turtle had parasites since he could not provide a fecal.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The worm was actually alive...it's been a week since his vet visit. Think I'll need to give this guy a second dosage of de-wormer? I know the vet told me it should be administered after 10 days of the first dose...but he never gave me the de-wormer to take home. He wasn't even positive that this turtle had parasites since he could not provide a fecal.
Especially considering the worm not being dead, I would definitely go back to the vet in a couple of days time for the second dose.
Take the worms along in a little bottle if you haven't disposed of them, or at least show him the pictures.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thanks! He's a neat little guy, I just wish he liked the super nutritious Mazuri I keep dumping on him during feeding time.

I called the vet and they told me to hold off on a second dose as the dewormer administered is effective for about a week.

He seems to be shedding like crazy and I'm wondering if it's a skin fungus or bacteria of some sort. Any recommendations on how I could treat that? Or do you think it will eventually go away on its own?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Found this thread again accidentally, and I hate when there are no updates.

Tama is still alive and kicking after two years :) Thank you all for your help.

Attachments

• 20170112_125606.jpg
    20170112_125606.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20161219_131927.jpg
    20161219_131927.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20161107_123247.jpg
    20161107_123247.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20160428_221211.jpg
    20160428_221211.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 30

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Found this thread again accidentally, and I hate when there are no updates.

Tama is still alive and kicking after two years :) Thank you all for your help.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):tort::<3:
And a jolly happy birthday to you. :D