Turtle Chases Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyTheTurtle

5 Year Member
I have a three toed box turtle, he's about 7 years old. Recently (the last 1-2 months) when I let him out to run around the apartment he chases my feet. If I'm sitting on the couch he will dig at, stand on, and occasionally bite my feet. If I'm moving around cooking or cleaning or whatever he will follow me around the apartment at full speed. Sometimes he follows me for over an hour!

While it's kind of cute it's also kind of annoying and I'm wondering if there is something going on I need to fix that is causing this behavior. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It could just be territorial, while most turtles and tortoises are pretty relaxed, some can just be jerks sometimes and act aggressive.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
This post made me giggle. That is so cute. I don't have an answer, but I thank you for giving me a laugh. If you ever got this behavior on video it would be priceless.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
if it's a boy he could be trying to dominate you over territory...or trying to mate with your feet..lol.......if its a girl its more than likely domination over territory...a video would be cute btw!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
katelyn0974 said:
This post made me giggle. That is so cute. I don't have an answer, but I thank you for giving me a laugh. If you ever got this behavior on video it would be priceless.

I agree, sounds adorable. I would love my tortoise to do that. Besides, if it bugs you, just put him back in the enclosure. I think it would be great fun

HarveyTheTurtle

5 Year Member
I will try to get a video soon and post it. :) I mostly worry about stepping on him when he's doing it since he is constantly underfoot. I wanted to make sure it isn't a sign he's unhappy but mostly it sounds like he's probably just being a normal (slightly weird) turtle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Harveytheturtle:

Welcome to the Forum!!

It might be a couple of things. For some unknown reason, turtles can't distinguish between the food and the person offering the food. They look at their person and they say, "FOOD!" and they go after you. You can hold a piece of food right in front of their face and they'll go for YOU every time.

Or it might be he's coming into his maleness and is looking for a breeding partner.

May we know your name and appx. where in the world you are?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Your turtle could also be begging for food. Some of mine will follow me until I give them something though Blue seems to like my phone he will follow my phone as I move it but he just looks at it and inspects it. Though he never tries to eat it. Shelly, Dotty and Blue will follow me just because it seems sometimes.

HarveyTheTurtle

5 Year Member
Sorry, I'm Karen, I live in Boston.

I was wondering if he was reaching breeding age but if he is, there's not a lot I can do. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so I don't think I could fit a second turtle.

Thanks for all your help! :)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I would get a better idea if I was a few picture of your turtle. Head, shell and tail.
Three toed females also have reddish eyes, so people tend to be fooled by that. On the other hand, he is showing definite territorial behavior which is also more in the male area.

I had a territorial female, but she would only be aggressive occasionally.

Have you tried showing him a mirror?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Saloli said:
Your turtle could also be begging for food. Some of mine will follow me until I give them something though Blue seems to like my phone he will follow my phone as I move it but he just looks at it and inspects it. Though he never tries to eat it. Shelly, Dotty and Blue will follow me just because it seems sometimes.

That's what I'm wondering. Sure, this could be territorial aggression, and there's also a small chance that this is misplaced mating behavior, or that this box turtle mistakes human toes for food. However, it could be that he knows people, and especially this person brings him food, so he trying to get that person to feed him. Maybe the way to deal with this is to feed him in a certain place every time. That way, although I'm sure he'll still realize who is feeding him, he may start to more strongly associate food with location, rather than individual.

jaylew

5 Year Member
HarveyTheTurtle said:
I have a three toed box turtle, he's about 7 years old. Recently (the last 1-2 months) when I let him out to run around the apartment he chases my feet. If I'm sitting on the couch he will dig at, stand on, and occasionally bite my feet. If I'm moving around cooking or cleaning or whatever he will follow me around the apartment at full speed. Sometimes he follows me for over an hour!

While it's kind of cute it's also kind of annoying and I'm wondering if there is something going on I need to fix that is causing this behavior. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Does he seem to primarily be going after your little toes? Maybe he wants a pinkie.
******he runs and hides after that bad vitamin d joke******

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
My 3 toed boxie used to do that. She would follow me around like a puppy, it was the cutest, sweetest thing ever! I'm also glad she never grew out of it :D

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
awww, how cute. have you recently started painting your toenails the color of strawberries? i made that mistake once, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.