turtle hiding in shell while basking

Derekscavy

Location (City and/or State)
Glen Carbon IL
i have two female eastern box turtles and im new to having them and just in the past couple of days one of them start to go into her shell and close it completely when ever she is under her heat lamp his this normal?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
No, it's not normal for a box turtle to close up tight for a long period of time unless they are stressed or sick. My box turtles usually have their legs and head sprawled out of their shell when under the heat lamp. Would you post a picture of your enclosure so we can see how you have them set up?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
agree with PJay , a look or explanation of how your keeping them would help , how long have you had them ? …….. are they otherwise eating , hiding , going in the water , alert , clear eyed ? might just be a shy turtle that wants to heat up and doesn't like being in the open , might be newly wild caught …….. might be sick , sick in a captive reptile is always a legitimate concern ….. turtles with respiratory infections are normally uncomfortable closed up tight in their shells ……..

my turtles are pretty timid , they don't sun very far from cover , often they sun under cover .....

DSCF3053.jpg

DSCF4259.jpg