Tweaking Darwin's Enclosure

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_7212.jpg

Darwin's been doing fine for awhile, so I was hesitant to mess with his enclosure, but today I decided to make a couple of changes.

I made the cypress mulch deeper throughout the enclosure (4" to 5").

I added three potted plants (stems and leaves sticking out of a screwtop Tupperware container I drilled a hole in).

I changed the orientation of the openings of his two hides to open up more space in the middle of his enclosure.

I lowered the top temp (from 94 to 90) and raised the bottom temp (from 78 to 82) in the enclosure ... I think it'll be a degree or two cooler at night, but that should still be good for him.

I mounted a Black-Friday-bought camera in one end of the enclosure; it's wireless and waterproof, and delivers pictures and video to my phone, either on demand or motion-activated ... nothing I (or Darwin) needed, but it's fun.

I'll be watching the temps and humidity closely for the next few days, hoping I didn't upset the apple cart.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very pretty tortoise. I have 4 RF tortoises (not cherry heads) and all of them have mostly yellow dots on them. I love the red dots, and the red head. Your enclosure looks great. Since you only have the one tortoise, he probably won't be able to climb up and eat the plant to the dirt. My baby leopards and deserts take bites out of the leaves, but so far haven't been interested in climbing into the pots.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@jsheffield I trust you've taken a look at the TFO Redfoot Caresheet .. you instigated haha.

I'll purpose to get a few pics of my enclosure's ASAP.

Any questions or concerns Jamie ?

Karenp

Michigan/SW Florida
View attachment 258449

Darwin's been doing fine for awhile, so I was hesitant to mess with his enclosure, but today I decided to make a couple of changes.

I made the cypress mulch deeper throughout the enclosure (4" to 5").

I added three potted plants (stems and leaves sticking out of a screwtop Tupperware container I drilled a hole in).

I changed the orientation of the openings of his two hides to open up more space in the middle of his enclosure.

I lowered the top temp (from 94 to 90) and raised the bottom temp (from 78 to 82) in the enclosure ... I think it'll be a degree or two cooler at night, but that should still be good for him.

I mounted a Black-Friday-bought camera in one end of the enclosure; it's wireless and waterproof, and delivers pictures and video to my phone, either on demand or motion-activated ... nothing I (or Darwin) needed, but it's fun.

I'll be watching the temps and humidity closely for the next few days, hoping I didn't upset the apple cart.

Jamie
Very nice!
Darwin is so cute!
It looks like he is LOVING the new decor & I am loving how his food dish is bigger than he is, but still filled to the brim!
(Maybe you won't have to worry about him eating those plants after all.) :)

Last edited:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
@jsheffield I trust you've taken a look at the TFO Redfoot Caresheet .. you instigated haha.

I'll purpose to get a few pics of my enclosure's ASAP.

Any questions or concerns Jamie ?

Thanks again for the wonderful caresheet ... I think it's so great that TFO now has an "in-house" caresheet to refer newbies to when they arrive with questions ... I truly believe it'll help people and their redfoots.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on housing multiple redfoots, both inside and outside ... in terms of space requirements and sex ratios.

I've been thinking about expanding Darwin's tribe to a 1.2 or 1.3 setup, but don't want to upset his apple cart, or risk any of their health or well-being.

Thanks,

Jamie

Last edited: