Two headed sea turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Neat, glad you shared with us. I am kinda surprised they did not keep it in captivity just because odds are so against it surviving in the wild with the birth defect.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Cool! Thanks for sharing. Two headed any things kinda weird me out a bit lol. Very interesting nonetheless! :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I wonder what the life span is going to be for it in the wild? I think I would have tried to find a place for it in captivity.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
cemmons12 said:
I wonder what the life span is going to be for it in the wild? I think I would have tried to find a place for it in captivity.

Agreed.

The odds of it making a year is not particularily good...baby seaturtles are on a lot of sea creature's menus...and then there's the hazards of commercial fish nets (lots of sea turles die every year in those.

Ever hear of anyone finding a two-headed adult sea-turtle? :(

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
It even says in the article that it won't make it to adulthood :( Unfortunately, though, there are probably laws against taking a sea turtle hatchling into captivity that don't allow room for cases like this where he would be much better off.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
Neat, glad you shared with us. I am kinda surprised they did not keep it in captivity just because odds are so against it surviving in the wild with the birth defect.

That's what I would have thought they would have done. I don't understand why they don't. The survival rate sucks when you are born normal. It two bad they don't give it to a sea turtle rescue and let them try to raise it for as long as it is possible.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
futureleopardtortoise said:
It even says in the article that it won't make it to adulthood :( Unfortunately, though, there are probably laws against taking a sea turtle hatchling into captivity that don't allow room for cases like this where he would be much better off.

You're probably right, but there should be "flex-room" in these matters...the little thing could live out it's life in some place like The National Aquarium of Baltimore, at the National Marine Sanctuaries and National Parks Gallery, and be marveled at by millions for many, many years.

mg_7417.ano9nnhv1ugco8o8ogwgs8s08.7zf9koy0mn0gwcc08kgcc4gk0.th.jpeg
Last time I was there, they had 3 or 4 diffeent species of sea turtles on exhibit!

Status
Not open for further replies.