Two owner dilemma?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Here is an interesting situation. Person #1 purchased a large male sulcata three years ago. This sulcata escaped almost two years ago and was recently found across the street from where it originally escaped from. The tortoise again escaped and has been missing for about one month this time. Person #1 discovers the tortoise at the local animal control and goes down to claim his tortoise. The staff at the animal control tells person #1 that someone else (Person #2) has already put a claim on the tortoise and has pictures, etc. Person #1 also has pictures, etc. Animal control calls me and ask my opinion, it is clear that all pictures are of the same male sulcata. I offered this possible narrative, when the tortoise originally escaped from person #1, person #2 found the tortoise and decided that it is now his. Person #2 had the tortoise for about one year and then it escaped from him, that is when the neighbor of person #1 found the tortoise roaming his yard and calls person #1. The tortoise then escapes from person #1 again and this time is picked up by animal control. One fact that needs disclosed is person #1 and person #2 live within one mile of each other. One fact that puzzles me is that the final location of the tortoise when picked up by animal control was just over 23 miles away from both person #1 and person #2. Neither person #1 nor person #2 have a bill of sale, however the pictures they both provided are definitively the same tortoise.

Q: What would you do and why?

Last edited:

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What did person 2 do after they found it originally? Did they report it 'found'?

Does person 1 have pictures from the first time they owned it? I don't see many scenarios where person 2 has a good claim since person 1 was both the first and most recent owner.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
wow, this is a tuff one. I had written two different answers and as I reread them, I wasn't sure that would be a proper way to handle this.
Can owner number one prove it was his first?
Did owner number two do anything to try and find the rightful owner or did they just keep it, knowing it had to be someone's pet?
I think owner number one should get it. However, only after a proper, secured enclosure is made to insure no more further escapes.

GRohr

I am shocked nobody picked up a foreign tortoise before it traveled 23 miles. I know my guys will move with some serious purpose when they want to but that is still a long way to go without somebody picking him up.

That is a tough question though. If person number two put in a found claim and number one didn't try hard enough to find his tortoise I think person 2 should be able to keep him. But if person 2 did not put in a found claim then the tort should return to person one. In either case I would recommend making sure the yard is tort proof first as it would truly be a crime if he gets out again and killed :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
is the owner number 2 under any legal or moral obligation to find the original owner? I don't think they are but I'm not a lawyer even though I play one on TV. I feel like as sad as it is for owner number one owner number 2 has the more legitimate claim

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it belongs to person #1. Person #2 obviously didn't do enough to find the original owner at the time he found the tortoise.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
if owner number 1 had not lost. It in the first place you know the rest....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It should go to neither Person #1 nor Person #2. Neither of them are responsible enough to house a tortoise properly and neither of them seem to care to learn. I wouldn't let either of them have it.

The tortoise should go to a responsible person who will keep the darn thing contained.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Wow.

Will you keep us posted and let us know the outcome?

I think person #1 would get it if they have the earliest dated photos.
I also wonder what person #2 did to try and find the tortoises owners before keeping him as their pet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It should go to neither Person #1 nor Person #2. Neither of them are responsible enough to house a tortoise properly and neither of them seem to care to learn. I wouldn't let either of them have it.

The tortoise should go to a responsible person who will keep the darn thing contained.

You just never know why or how they escape. It might have been something unavoidable - gardener left gate open, tortoise broke down fence, someone left garage door and door to back yard open.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You just never know why or how they escape. It might have been something unavoidable - gardener left gate open, tortoise broke down fence, someone left garage door and door to back yard open.

Yet somehow none of my 50 some odd tortoises are ever wandering the neighborhood…

There should be a small board across gate openings, like what you saw in my russian enclosures.

If the tortoise broke the fence down, they didn't build the fence correctly.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't let either of them have it.

Prairie Mom

Where would something like this scenario even be settled? Small claims court?

---------------
I've actually wondered about this topic a bit. Our tortoise is a lost/unclaimed pet that we've had a year now. We found her in our neighborhood within walking distance of our house. I suspect she was abandoned because she was out in deadly weather conditions. We didn't put up "found" signs, but contacted animal control, the only reptile vet in town, and the humane society (the only other rescue here). Animal control even scanned her for a chip.

If the previous owner showed up out of the blue now, I wouldn't be willing to let her go. We would be fighting it out in court.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
It's no different than with a lost dog. It's considered a piece of property technically and thus should be returned to it's original owner.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

---------------
I've actually wondered about this topic a bit. Our tortoise is a lost/unclaimed pet that we've had a year now. We found her in our neighborhood within walking distance of our house. I suspect she was abandoned because she was out in deadly weather conditions. We didn't put up "found" signs, but contacted animal control, the only reptile vet in town, and the humane society (the only other rescue here). Animal control even scanned her for a chip.

If the previous owner showed up out of the blue now, I wouldn't be willing to let her go. We would be fighting it out in court.
small claims can only decide monetary damages to decide property issues like this you have to go to court court.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

---------------

There really are different, interesting aspects that come into play. I think the fact that you made an effort (contacted animal control) and the length of time would probably be in your favor, there's usually a time period for the original owner to reclaim their property.

Prairie Mom

There really are different, interesting aspects that come into play. I think the fact that you made an effort (contacted animal control) and the length of time would probably be in your favor, there's usually a time period for the original owner to reclaim their property.
Your point of view here is comforting. Thanks for the reply!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I tend to agree with Tom despite having so little of the story, about those 'escapes', which could have been pranksters, thievery, or some other foolery, not just poor enclosure security. I have to consider if they cared enough, any of them, they would have blanketed the area with lost posters and let animal control know, even local cops who patrol and might see it.

When my cat was pushed out while I was on an out of country vacation, the other house-mates all went silent and if not for the fear-of-Will I put in them it might have never been sorted out. My cat was taken some undisclosed distance away, but found his way back, Cats aren't tortoises, I know, but I left nothing to chance and put up fliers, checked all the shelters within several miles and bugged all my neighbors. If you care everyone within a reasonable distance will know by your own effort.

I don't know how the might help Greg come to any conclusion, but a history of attempted recovery from escape would weigh heavily.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
My opinion aside.

Legally unless they are both being neglectful I believe it would go back to the first owner.

AnimalLady

Forget Person #1 & #2, both seem unfit for this poor tort. Unless someone could provide me a bill of sale, i wouldnt give it back, nah uh.