ummm what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmakeMegiggle247

5 Year Member
There is a mushroom growing in my redfoots terrarium? Should I freak out. I have mixed emotions hah. One site told me they will eat them.. one site told me that it will start to grow on their shell.. hmmm. I used organic soil....

I read anything that is humid. Warm and moist can grow them... Do I just pull them out everytime or leave them there. Wtf. I'm pulling this one out.. but for future reference. I bet more will come.. I use organic soil for my plants and mushrooms grow.. that's fine. Trees and mushrooms are a team together... But the terrarium?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Is it a standard field mushroom like you buy to eat? If so, you tort can eat it. It is a sign if high humidity levels.

If you don't know what type of fungus ot is, pull it out, but more will grow.

The only way to prevent this is to sterilise soil by baking it in the oven before use.

UmakeMegiggle247

5 Year Member
Ya I have no idea what kind it was.. had a white stem .. and a brown top with redish brown on the very top of the top... Hahah. Thanks. I'll clean the tank and bake some soil and put it in. What temperature? And for how long?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Sieve dry soil through a garden sieve to get rid of any bits

Put it in a baking pan and cover with foil.

Bake at 180F for an hour and then leave to cool down slowly before using :)

The soil will now be very dry, so will need moistening when you use it in the tort's enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.