Underground reptiles?

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hello, I found a redfoot tortoise hatchling on underground reptiles that I wanted to buy and care for... I want to know if I can trust underground reptiles

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i bought an adult 9" male north american wood turtle from them for some stupid low price ,like $300 ..... i expected to get a sick turtle i'd have to save , which i've gotten before from "breeders"...... instead i got one of the best cared for , most impressive turtles of any kind i've ever bought , he was absolutely flawless and in perfect health ...... it was the first time i ever bought a turtle from anything other than a "breeder" , and i was hesitant to buy from someplace like that , i'd do it again .... my experience was positive , so i can't speak on how they handle a problem ...... i will say again , the turtle i got from them was absolutely in exceptional condition .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mark's post above is the first positive review I've ever heard for them.

I would not buy from them. They are brokers buying and selling other people's animals. Why not buy directly from the breeder who knows the parents, knows the hatchling and knows every detail of everything that has happened in that baby's life. And since you aren't paying a middle man, its usually cheaper to buy from the breeder.

We have so many amazing breeders on this forum that put their heart and soul into caring for their animals and starting their babies with the utmost care and prefect conditions. Why on earth wold anyone want to buy from some faceless internet conglomeration of pet trade brokers? Buy from the source and you'll have an expert available to answer all your questions for years to come. All breeders want their babies to go to good homes and be happy and healthy, so breeders are happy to help the people who buy their babies. If I were in the market for a new baby, an internet broker would be at the bottom of my list of possible sources. No. That's wrong. I wouldn't even put them on the list.

That's my two cents on the matter...

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
you may be correct Tom , i can only speak on my single experience with them ....i too was hesitant , but from my perspective to find someone selling a 15-20 plus year old legal NA wood turtle is not that easy .... being picky about who's selling it is not always an option ..... pretty much i'm of the opinion if i buy an animal from any private individual off the net and have them mail it to me ..... if they actually send me the animal and don't just rip me off , it's a win for me ... if the animal arrives alive i'm even happier ...... if i don't have to immediately take it to the vet and spend a couple more hundred bucks on it , i won ................ the turtle came packaged perfectly , on time , signature required , and they actually called me to see if it arrived before i had a chance to call them . when i opened the package i was honestly stunned ..... a perfectly grown , flawless , bright red , full 9" scl , dog tame , NA wood turtle .... i don't know who grew it , but they sure did a great job , and this guy is probably pretty close to 20 ...... i've seen na wood turtles that were pushed year round to get 6+ inches by breeders in order to get the most money they can as quick as possible , they look it ...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
you may be correct Tom , i can only speak on my single experience with them ....i too was hesitant , but from my perspective to find someone selling a 15-20 plus year old legal NA wood turtle is not that easy .... being picky about who's selling it is not always an option ..... pretty much i'm of the opinion if i buy an animal from any private individual off the net and have them mail it to me ..... if they actually send me the animal and don't just rip me off , it's a win for me ... if the animal arrives alive i'm even happier ...... if i don't have to immediately take it to the vet and spend a couple more hundred bucks on it , i won ................ the turtle came packaged perfectly , on time , signature required , and they actually called me to see if it arrived before i had a chance to call them . when i opened the package i was honestly stunned ..... a perfectly grown , flawless , bright red , full 9" scl , dog tame , NA wood turtle .... i don't know who grew it , but they sure did a great job , and this guy is probably pretty close to 20 ...... i've seen na wood turtles that were pushed year round to get 6+ inches by breeders in order to get the most money they can as quick as possible , they look it ...

I don't doubt it. Everybody does something right once in a while.

The OP is just looking for a regular red foot tortoise. Not hard to find a good breeder for those.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Do you guys know a safe breeder for a redfoot...I'm on a 100$ budget

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've known Ryan (Riann) The owner, Since around 1980 when he sold snakes out of a 10' x 20' rented warehouse.
He is a great guy and takes care of his friends.
However, there are too many great people right here selling very healthy animals.
Unless you are local, like I am and can view the animal beforehand and haggle a price in person, I see no special reason to buy from him.
He does not specialize in Redfoot, or even in tortoises for that matter.
But if you do chose him, I expect you'll be pleased with his professionalism.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Nathan , you are the guy with the russian tortoise , who was looking for an eastern "mountain tortoise" , the cheap sulcata and rehoming a red eared ? not trying to be judgemental , i only know what i've read , which is now looking for a redfoot ... i get the impression from reading this stuff ,you might be someone who needs to figure out how to keep what they got ..... i've yet to acquire an animal that hasn't costed me an enormous amount more than the animal itself to setup and keep ...... keeping them is the best and most educational part of having them , and most expensive .......

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Some of those were for my friend...He does not have access to Internet...but I appreciate that you are worrying...I currently have 2 boxies and that's all I have , but I've always wanted a redfoot but thank you

TortoiseRacket

New York
My pet store gets baby Redfoots from undergroundreptiles.com. They always come in with shell rot. They keep them on alfalfa pellets- way too dry!
Would reccomend floridaiguana.com

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My pet store gets baby Redfoots from undergroundreptiles.com. They always come in with shell rot. They keep them on alfalfa pellets- way too dry!
Would reccomend floridaiguana.com

You might want to send them to AZ Tortiose Compound. He’s a member of the TFO . And a friend !

TortoiseRacket

New York
My pet store is run by Marc Morrone, did you watch is show when it was in air? He treats it nicely. I do like AZ tortoise compound, though. About the calcium powder, I don’t know but there is an option of vitamin d3 or not.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My pet store is run by Marc Morrone, did you watch is show when it was in air? He treats it nicely. I do like AZ tortoise compound, though. About the calcium powder, I don’t know but there is an option of vitamin d3 or not.

That’s why I don’t buy store calcium . Cause I don’t know what’s in it ! Just like people food : soup has sodium lots , can beans has sodium lots, even low sodium foods have lots of sodium in it to cut costs !