Update on Gretta - Light Bulb question

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
The UV bulbs used in night clubs for the glowing effect are putting out UVA. They do not put out UVB. EXTENDED exposure to UVA as well as UVB has been linked to cataracts, eye problems, as well as skin damage. UVB is by far the issue, not UVA.

UVC damages and kills cells, not "bioactive" - as it destroys cells quite quickly (a matter of seconds of exposure). Sterilizers emit UVC. And they come with ample warnings about ever looking at a bulb. But reptile and tanning bed lights do not emit UVC. And the glow producing black lights only emit UVA.

The UVB light our tortoise bulbs puts out is indeed the most bioactive wavelengths of UV. That is the only wavelengths that also will promote pre vitamin D formation in the skin. AND.... those are the most dangerous wavelengths. The bulbs in tanning beds are also UVB producers as that is the only bioactive wavelengths. Those wavelengths indeed are linked to cancer, aging, and eye problems.

Most all of the tortoise bulbs loose effectiveness dramatically with distance, unlike sunlight. At 24" most (except the strongest HO 14.0 bulbs) give a reading of less than 1.0. At 36" - 0.1. My strongest HO bulb reads 0.2 at 36"

However, I am very careful of ever looking directly into a UVB bulb at any distance closer than 24" or so. At 12" with an HO bulb, it would be as dangerous as looking directly into the sun.

I personally would always recommend a hood when installing a UVB bulb over a open table enclosure. I would never allow my grandkids to be where they are looking over the edge of an enclosure and within close distance to an unobstructed UVB bulb.

Thanks for including your input. I agree with all you’ve said Mark.

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
All of that equipment will work. 10.0 bulbs usually need to be mounted 10-12" above the tortoise to get a little UV to them, but only a UV meter can answer this question for your bulb in your enclosure. We are just guessing based on experience with other bulbs in other enclosures.

I don't know why Danielle said that about reflectors. The opposite is true according to my UV meters. The reflector bounces light and UV that would hove gone out into the room, back into the enclosure where you want it. UV reading under a bulb with a reflector are much higher than under the same bulb with no reflector.

I'm curious why you don't buy an Arcadia bulb to use with your Arcadia controller and Arcadia reflector? Arcadia makes the best bulbs in my experience.

I think I should've looked at the links better before pasting it, I may use the Arcadia bulb instead to match the brand for better results now that I think about it. It seems there's a bit of mixed reception on reflectors, and overall it seems to be more of an optional thing.

Hmm... there have been a lot of responses to this thread lately XD

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I read replies where some suggested to hang tube light 12 inches above the tortoise home, mainly using chains. I'll have to look into that since it's interesting. I'm too sure what it could hang from, maybe a tall wooden structure perhaps.

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
UPDATE

Gretta often does this thing where she rubs her eyes. I posted a picture of her face before she rubs them. Is this caused by the coil UVB bulb, or something else?

Attachments

• Tortoise Eyes 2.PNG
    Tortoise Eyes 2.PNG
    879.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Tortoise Eyes.PNG
    Tortoise Eyes.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
If you are using a coil UVB bulb it is probably causing irritation to the eyes. I would change it ASAP to a strip type UVB. I hang mine with cable ties.

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
If you are using a coil UVB bulb it is probably causing irritation to the eyes. I would change it ASAP to a strip type UVB. I hang mine with cable ties.

https://www.internetreptile.com/arcadia-t5-lighting-bundle-tube-controller-reflector/

I found a bundle of this. I noticed different options regarding UV intensity, such as D3 Forest, D3+ Forest and Dragon Lamp, I'm wondering which one would be the best. Sadly the enclosure I have at the moment isn't designed around the tube lights (picture of my enclosure can be seen in the thread post), so that made me unsure on how I'd attach it. I guess I could attach it onto the tall, wooden pieces by tying it to them similar to what you mentioned.

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I tend to find light tube bulbs confusing. I haven't bought them yet just for the sake of making sure I get the right type, and research it before buying it since the controller, reflector and bulb altogether is costs over £50.

With the dry vivarium controller, it states in the description "is not suitable for vivariums incorporating misters, rain systems or standing water", does this include water bowls for Tortoises since they contain standing water too? If so, the only other type of connector/plug for tube lights is an Ultra Seal type, but that's for aquariums so that's obviously out of the question.

I thought of getting the 14 watt, 15 inches type too. Mostly because my enclosure isn't too large, and my original coil bulb (which I do not want to use any longer) was around 13 watts.

I apologize for dumping questions on this thread, I just want to ensure I buy the most suitable and compatible type.

EccoGalaxy

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Regarding the Arcadia dry vivarium controller I linked, I'm not sure if it'd be suitable for a Russian tortoise, as well for an enclosure that has a water dish, since it says in the description that it's not suitable for incorporating standing water. Unless I'm reading too much into it. I may be getting an Arcadia or Exo Terra tube for it with matching inches and watts.

I apologize if this all seems like a stupid question.

Last edited: