Update on Hubert

cait_lr

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois, USA
Things seemed like they were finally getting better for Hubert this weekend... I soaked him constantly in warm water, baby food, pedialyte... He even got up on his own yesterday and started eating without having to be soaked. I was so happy, I thought he was going to be okay.

Today I woke up and he hardly moved at all. I know he's still alive because his legs will start moving every now and then, but he's just so lethargic.. He doesn't want to eat, and just lays there lifeless. I'm in so much pain having to watch this and I can't stop crying. I tried soaking him multiple times today, but he won't move around as much as he used to, he just lays there. I currently have him wrapped up in my arms in a towel right now, but I don't know what else there is I can do. I contacted the breeder and they won't reply to me. I feel absolutely awful.

Poor baby. :(

Attachments

• 15240244_345659699135477_1403513587_n.jpg
    15240244_345659699135477_1403513587_n.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Don't give up and don't give up on torts. Remember to keep him warm at night, did you get any night heat for him yet?

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
I'm so sorry. Will be keeping your little guy in my thoughts.

I have a baby who struggles too. Some days are good. Some days are bad. Keep doing what you are, and hope for the best!

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I'll be keeping your baby in my thoughts as well. Its been quite the rollercoaster with this one, but we should always hope for the best. :)

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
How's Hubert today? I hope he (and you) are having a better day!

Hi Shaif thank you for the kind message. Hubert is doing a little better. He's started pooping again, and he even ate a ton yesterday. :) As I mentioned before, it's definitely a roller coaster with this little guy. He's still sleepy 90% of the day though, so I've been keeping a close eye on him. But things are looking up!
How is your little guy doing? I would love to know.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Oh, that's so, so SO good!

I know exactly how you feel.

Here's my story--It seems similar to yours.
I was an uneducated buyer. Sadly, I bought a baby Greek tortoise from an online store (mytortoisestore.com). Zeus arrived Aug 18. He was beautiful and I fell in love at once. But he was always lethargic, slow, tired. He hardly ate, never drank, and slept ALL the time. Thanks to the help of the kind people on this forum, I immediately began soaking him in carrot water several times a day. On his bad days, he sleeps all day--hardly moves at all--just basks. His eyes look swollen and closed on his bad days--that's how I know it's going to be a bad day, actually. I soak him 3 times a day on the bad days. Once I was certain he had passed--he had stool coming out of him and he wasn't moving away from it. He looked completely dead. So I tried to clean up the area a little before my family came to say goodbye to him. And, as I tried to clean the poo around him, he lifted his leg (presumably so I could clean the other side). And I have no idea why or how, but he was back to his normal self the next day.

Zeus's "normal self" is not normal though. He eats a few bites a day. He basks all day. He sleeps through almost anything--even soaks. I have to keep his soak water low so he doesn't drown by falling asleep in the water. He lost 2 grams last check. And his gains have been minimal when they happen.

But I keep doing every single thing that I can to help him. I pray that he's not in pain--wish I knew for sure. I really take each day as they come with Zeus. I know he's a fighter, so I'm doing my best to be one too.

I'm sorry if you already said this, but how new is your little one? Where did you get him from?

I called the store I bought from. They told me that Torts don't need extra humidity and that the babies are "soaked once in a while." I mailed them a copy of the care sheet from this forum. No reply.

I'm so happy that you had a good day. I wish you many, many, many more. I really hope all 4 of us make it through this ok and can laugh about it next year with our healthy, alert, juvenile torts.

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
Oh, that's so, so SO good!

I know exactly how you feel.

Here's my story--It seems similar to yours.
I was an uneducated buyer. Sadly, I bought a baby Greek tortoise from an online store (mytortoisestore.com). Zeus arrived Aug 18. He was beautiful and I fell in love at once. But he was always lethargic, slow, tired. He hardly ate, never drank, and slept ALL the time. Thanks to the help of the kind people on this forum, I immediately began soaking him in carrot water several times a day. On his bad days, he sleeps all day--hardly moves at all--just basks. His eyes look swollen and closed on his bad days--that's how I know it's going to be a bad day, actually. I soak him 3 times a day on the bad days. Once I was certain he had passed--he had stool coming out of him and he wasn't moving away from it. He looked completely dead. So I tried to clean up the area a little before my family came to say goodbye to him. And, as I tried to clean the poo around him, he lifted his leg (presumably so I could clean the other side). And I have no idea why or how, but he was back to his normal self the next day.

Zeus's "normal self" is not normal though. He eats a few bites a day. He basks all day. He sleeps through almost anything--even soaks. I have to keep his soak water low so he doesn't drown by falling asleep in the water. He lost 2 grams last check. And his gains have been minimal when they happen.

But I keep doing every single thing that I can to help him. I pray that he's not in pain--wish I knew for sure. I really take each day as they come with Zeus. I know he's a fighter, so I'm doing my best to be one too.

I'm sorry if you already said this, but how new is your little one? Where did you get him from?

I called the store I bought from. They told me that Torts don't need extra humidity and that the babies are "soaked once in a while." I mailed them a copy of the care sheet from this forum. No reply.

I'm so happy that you had a good day. I wish you many, many, many more. I really hope all 4 of us make it through this ok and can laugh about it next year with our healthy, alert, juvenile torts.

Hi, sorry for the delay in response. I thought I had posted this, but I accidentally left it as a draft!

What a fighter Zeus is. Thank goodness you take such good care of him. It's amazing how much we can relate, our stories are almost exactly the same. (Especially the dead situation... I definitely thought Hubert was dead the other day...heh.) Hopefully with the proper care & treatment they will both make successful recoveries. :) We are cheering for you both, go Zeus! Best of luck to the two of you, and thank you for sharing your story with me. It's nice to know there are others who understand what you're going through, and it honestly really helps me cope.

In response to your questions, my little one is almost two months old. I got him from Tortoise Town, an online tortoise store as well. I thought I knew the basics of tortoise keeping, but these past few weeks have definitely opened my eyes.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Hi, sorry for the delay in response. I thought I had posted this, but I accidentally left it as a draft!

What a fighter Zeus is. Thank goodness you take such good care of him. It's amazing how much we can relate, our stories are almost exactly the same. (Especially the dead situation... I definitely thought Hubert was dead the other day...heh.) Hopefully with the proper care & treatment they will both make successful recoveries. :) We are cheering for you both, go Zeus! Best of luck to the two of you, and thank you for sharing your story with me. It's nice to know there are others who understand what you're going through, and it honestly really helps me cope.

In response to your questions, my little one is almost two months old. I got him from Tortoise Town, an online tortoise store as well. I thought I knew the basics of tortoise keeping, but these past few weeks have definitely opened my eyes.

Hi Cait,

How are you and Hubert?

I hope you are both well!

Zeus it rallying this week. I'm cautiously optimistic.

But I have found a few simple things helpful-- and I hope maybe they might help you as well.

I've placed a very shallow Tupperware container top full of water right under Zeus's favorite basking spot. It actually forces him to soak himself a bit to warm up. There is plenty of room for him around the reservoir if he wants, but I've actually seen him soak himself on occasion. I've never seen him drink-- even though I force-soak him multiple times a day, but I think he may have taken a sip or two in the past few days.

I also spray his greens with a lot of water and put them near the basking light too. Maybe he just likes warm food, but he seems to eat more. And I always give warm, softened Mazuri pellets-- every day. I think torts like them, and any intake at this point is a good thing.

I hope you and your baby are well. I'm not an expert-- not at all, but I would be so happy if any of these ideas helped you.

BEST wishes to you!

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
Hi Cait,

How are you and Hubert?

I hope you are both well!

Zeus it rallying this week. I'm cautiously optimistic.

But I have found a few simple things helpful-- and I hope maybe they might help you as well.

I've placed a very shallow Tupperware container top full of water right under Zeus's favorite basking spot. It actually forces him to soak himself a bit to warm up. There is plenty of room for him around the reservoir if he wants, but I've actually seen him soak himself on occasion. I've never seen him drink-- even though I force-soak him multiple times a day, but I think he may have taken a sip or two in the past few days.

I also spray his greens with a lot of water and put them near the basking light too. Maybe he just likes warm food, but he seems to eat more. And I always give warm, softened Mazuri pellets-- every day. I think torts like them, and any intake at this point is a good thing.

I hope you and your baby are well. I'm not an expert-- not at all, but I would be so happy if any of these ideas helped you.

BEST wishes to you!

Hi, thank you for the response!
That is a great idea with the tupperware container. I'll be sure to try that once I get home, so thank you. :)

It's been a rough week for Hubert. He hasn't eaten anything since Friday and his eyes have been shut since. (Almost as if they are swollen?)
I'm still soaking him daily with baby carrot food, and his temps are in the 90's, but he's unresponsive. I think his eyes may be bothering him, because he keeps rubbing them with his forelimbs. Has Zeus had this problem? If so, do you have any advice on what to do?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did we ever ask you what kind of light you have over the habitat? Forgive me if you've already said.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Zeus's eyes do seem swollen on his bad days. They bulge out a bit. It's really sad to see him like that. I know you feel the same. I don't know how to fix it. I just keep putting him in his food plate and once in a while he eats some when he wakes up. I make sure he's always warm.

I like the mercury bulbs, if you can get one. The Megaray is a good one. It's not cheap though, and I've not seen it in sale anywhere.

I'm so glad Yvonne is on this thread. She's super helpful and very knowledgeable.

Your baby is lucky to have you.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I'm so sorry! Keep up the hard work! Ms. Yvonne is great! Keep that baby warm and soaked! Praying he gets better soon! Have you been able to get ahold of the breeder yet?

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
Did we ever ask you what kind of light you have over the habitat? Forgive me if you've already said.

He had a coil bulb over his tank for a week or two, but someone on here told me they were bad, so it's been off for a while. He hasn't shown any signs of eye irritation up until Iast week though, which is strange.
All the local pet stores only have coil bulbs, so I'm planning on purchasing a proper UVB light online. Is there anything I can do to help his eyes in the meantime? Thanks.

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
Zeus's eyes do seem swollen on his bad days. They bulge out a bit. It's really sad to see him like that. I know you feel the same. I don't know how to fix it. I just keep putting him in his food plate and once in a while he eats some when he wakes up. I make sure he's always warm.

I like the mercury bulbs, if you can get one. The Megaray is a good one. It's not cheap though, and I've not seen it in sale anywhere.

I'm so glad Yvonne is on this thread. She's super helpful and very knowledgeable.

Your baby is lucky to have you.

Thank you! I hope Zeus feels better soon.

cait_lr

Illinois, USA
I'm so sorry! Keep up the hard work! Ms. Yvonne is great! Keep that baby warm and soaked! Praying he gets better soon! Have you been able to get ahold of the breeder yet?

Thanks so much! They just replied, I sent you a PM. :)