Upgrading outdoor enclosure for Hermann

Albie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Our 60 year old Hermann has an outdoor enclosure that I’ve been improving each year (based on input from this and other forums).
This year I’d like to focus on the substrate. Right now it is basically the lawn that was always in our garden, although I’ve planted a few edible plants, and added some sand in one section last year although that seems to have mixed with the regular dirt and isn’t so visible now.

The enclosure is outdoors, open top (No cover — he has a hide and I’m getting another one). Should I leave it with the plants and grass (some cut low, some high), or is there something else that would be good to add for variety? I read a lot of posts about orchid bark, and coco coir, Cyprus mulch. I don’t want to have to mist it regularly — I’ve read that is necessary for some substrates, but not practical for us / the enclosure size.

Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Our 60 year old Hermann has an outdoor enclosure that I’ve been improving each year (based on input from this and other forums).
This year I’d like to focus on the substrate. Right now it is basically the lawn that was always in our garden, although I’ve planted a few edible plants, and added some sand in one section last year although that seems to have mixed with the regular dirt and isn’t so visible now.

The enclosure is outdoors, open top (No cover — he has a hide and I’m getting another one). Should I leave it with the plants and grass (some cut low, some high), or is there something else that would be good to add for variety? I read a lot of posts about orchid bark, and coco coir, Cyprus mulch. I don’t want to have to mist it regularly — I’ve read that is necessary for some substrates, but not practical for us / the enclosure size.

Thanks!
I would not add any more sand. Sand is not right for any tortoise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Thanks!
Clarify for me, why add substrate to an outdoor enclosure? Substrates tend to dry out. You have various shades and sunlight?

Albie

5 Year Member
Sweden
Clarify for me, why add substrate to an outdoor enclosure? Substrates tend to dry out. You have various shades and sunlight?
Okay, that’s a helpful answer, actually! I see pictures people post where part of an enclosure is rock, part is bark (or similar), part is dirt/grass, etc., so thought it to be a better (and certainly prettier) approach. But maybe it isn’t necessary and creates extra work?

Yes, it is mostly sunny but there are shadier parts, as well as a big pot on it’s side as a hide (and we’ve planted more things that will grow and he can go under them).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, that’s a helpful answer, actually! I see pictures people post where part of an enclosure is rock, part is bark (or similar), part is dirt/grass, etc., so thought it to be a better (and certainly prettier) approach. But maybe it isn’t necessary and creates extra work?

Yes, it is mostly sunny but there are shadier parts, as well as a big pot on it’s side as a hide (and we’ve planted more things that will grow and he can go under them).
Okay, I see what you are going for. First how big is the enclosure?

Albie

5 Year Member
Sweden
It is roughly 2m by 3,5m. Attached is a picture — from some weeks ago, before things started growing (And missing the hide).ED6A8624-E886-4ADE-AA8B-3980D22D86E5.jpeg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Soil naturally contains sand. A little does not hurt a properly setup and hydrated animal.
What I said was that I would not ADD more sand. But that's just me trying to share what I have learned here.

Albie

5 Year Member
Sweden
60 years old….!?!
Yes! (Roughly). My brother-in-law got Anton as a birthday present in 1964, and the family estimated he was 3-5 years old then (he Anton, not my BIL, who was 7). Somewhere my husband has pictures of the tort in my BIL’s hand, to compare for size - he was about a child hand-size then, now he is a bit bigger.

Is that unusual? I know they can live 75-125 years without a problem…we’ve already discussed which of our kids will take him after our time is done.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes, wow. Somebody must have been doing something right!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I think your enclosure looks great just as it is. No reason to add any kind of substrate to your outdoor enclosure.

How about some pix of your old tortoise. Nice that he has been with one family for such a good long time.

Albie

5 Year Member
Sweden
I think your enclosure looks great just as it is. No reason to add any kind of substrate to your outdoor enclosure.

How about some pix of your old tortoise. Nice that he has been with one family for such a good long time.
He’s in the enclosure photo I posted - just near his food bowl (And about the same size as it). He’s about 15 cm across, so not terribly big. And here’s one from this morning.D27EDBCC-0DA4-48A5-9178-6F0061B07875.jpeg

Albie

5 Year Member
Sweden
Yes, wow. Somebody must have been doing something right!
Oddly, I generally think my in-laws (who had the care of him for the better part of 40 years) didn’t know anything about tortoises, and it is amazing he’s done so well. (For example, he mostly only ate iceberg lettuce except in summer.) But we do think he’s healthy, and have been improving his care since the in-laws got too old to care for him and we took over.