urates

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I have noticed that some less experienced keepers don't seem to understand about urates. So...clear urine is great, white creamy urine is alright, pinkish kinda gritty isn't so good, and the rocks that are in the picture are not good. These are urates from Bob. He has been in that shed for almost 7 months. He does drink from his bowl, but not enough. His urates are almost so hard I couldn't squoosh them. So this is what serious urates look like.

9ji1xc.jpg

x5p9nq.jpg

Oogie

5 Year Member
at least they are in pieces and not a giant ball like this http://www.lbah.com/reptile/cdtbladderstone.htm (moderator warning!! Graphic. If you're faint of heart don't click the link)

i like that you give us a clear idea of what to look for --> "So...clear urine is great, white creamy urine is alright, pinkish kinda gritty isn't so good, and the rocks that are in the picture are not good."

thanks!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Just curious, Maggie, have you noticed any other heavy urates over the years, and if you did, was it in conjunction with a specific time of the year or season, or any other environmental factors mainly due to current climate?

Have you ever noticed heavier amounts of urates after feeding dertain kinds of food?

I am really into trying to figure out if there actually is a way to keep Sulcatas in colder climates, that is why I am asking.

What is the coldest your winters get? I know you have said that you have seen Bob trying to graze through snow (which I find very neat) but I think my winters get much colder than yours....

Kristina

ETA: I think that the shed has the most possibilities, and might be the best way to go, and I may start that with Ella next year.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think that it is very selfish to keep Sulcata in a cold climate. Bob went out yesterday for the second time in 7 months. He is quiet and somewhat depressed. He has the shed all to himself and that gives him more room to pace in the winter. I think that the lack of real exercise and companionship really affects him. Yes, I think it is colder in Michigan but it starts raining here and it's either too wet or cold for a desert type to go out for 7 or 8 months. So I really don't think it matters if it's colder, what matters is the length of time having to be cooped up without something to do or somebody to visit with.
Bob drinks out of a water bowl all winter but you see the quality of his urates, they are hard and yes, I feel lucky he didn't try to pass one like is in that link. They are hard like that every winter.
So while he was out I filled his water hole and he just loved getting in it and flinging mud around. Oregon is a very wet state so he is kept in more by rain then by cold. His shed is 8x20 and I know you have already seen pictures of it so I won't post them again. I think it's a personal choice about keeping Sulcata in a colder climate and I am beginning to think that it's not fair to Bob to keep such an active curious intelligent beast alone in that shed for 7 or 8 months every year...I think I need to spend more time with him, or talk my sis into keeping him all winter

azjmtf.jpg

16a15ck.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
..I think I need to spend more time with him, or talk my sis into keeping him all winter

Now there's an interesting idea! I'd hate for you to continue to feel that you're being selfish in keeping Bob. If if helps you at all, I'd be happy to arrange a permanent winter home for him here in Clovis. My back yard is not in use at all and the grass is a combination of rye and bermuda, so its got some green patches all winter long. There is a large warm house off the back yard that I could fix up to accommodate him. Also, it would mean that I would get to see you more often...at least twice a year! Let's give this some serious thought.

Yvonne

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Wow, those are some big urates! I didn't know that they could get that big. Bowsers were a little gritty looking so that is what I thought they were going to look like. I was really shocked.

Thank you for posting the pics maggie3fan.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Maggie, I am sorry to hear Bob is kind of depressed. Bob is very lucky to have someone like you who takes care of him and wants the best for him. Thanks for the pics, Bob is as handsome as usual :)

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
emysemys said:
Also, it would mean that I would get to see you more often...at least twice a year! Let's give this some serious thought.

Yvonne

I think you'd see her more. She'd suffer Bob withdrawals :rolleyes: and have to come visit.

Dawna

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Do you think that has anything to do with why he wasn't feeling well a few weeks ago?

Ralph's look like thick cream. How do I change that? What is his diet lacking?

chadk

10 Year Member!
I"m in a similar climate up in Western WA. My sullie has somewhat gritty urates from time to time, but I've nevern noticed it get chunky like that. I usually just find a white patch in the yard where he was just grazing. Other than about 2 weeks of a serious cold snap, we've had a very mild winter. It was 70 degrees Wed and all outdoor torts and boxies were loving it. Yesterday it was some seriously nasty downpoors, but I still saw both sullies out grazing in the rain.

They are doing an awesome job of keeping my side yard trimmed. I don't think I will need to mow in there ever again. In the past it was a major pain because I had to mow 2 or 3 times a week in the spring or it would get out of control. But my front yard is about to need its first mowing of the year. So while out weeding the flower beds last weekend, I left their gate open so they could come join me. Dozer took about 2 steps past the gate and into the thick green grass with clover and dandilions scatterned in, and just plopped down and started munching like crazy - hardly moving more than 5 feet in 20 minutes. Tank on the other hand, was a little more into exploring and making his way from one yellow dandilion flower to the next. Now I'm starting to think I'm going to have to fence in my front yard and put them to work mowing that as well. That way they can help earn their keep (high electricity bills).

Anyway, back to the OP... I think having lots of grass to graze and being able to get out and exercise a little each day has helped them stay healthy and content. I am working on building them a shallow wading pool for this summer. Their water dishes just aren't cutting it (too easy to spill and\or fill with mud or poo) and I want to be sure they have access to water for wading or drinking as often as they'd like.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Thanks for posting this Maggie. I haven't seen them yet (or their buried) but now I know what they look like. Your such a good mom to Bob and I'm sure things will work out for you two.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Nobody-Dehydration and a diet high in oxalic acid (in greens such as mustard/collard/dandelion/spinach) can cause stones. Urates are different than stones though. Urates are a natural occurrence, and although smooth is better, gritty or chunky can be normal for some torts.

Debbie-Creamy is good!

FYI, this thread is a year old.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I know when my tortoises let out urates, they can even be gummy. A nice luke warm bath usually helps quite a bit.

dragnikla

5 Year Member
owings mills, MD
emysemys said:
maggie3fan said:
..I think I need to spend more time with him, or talk my sis into keeping him all winter

Now there's an interesting idea! I'd hate for you to continue to feel that you're being selfish in keeping Bob. If if helps you at all, I'd be happy to arrange a permanent winter home for him here in Clovis. My back yard is not in use at all and the grass is a combination of rye and bermuda, so its got some green patches all winter long. There is a large warm house off the back yard that I could fix up to accommodate him. Also, it would mean that I would get to see you more often...at least twice a year! Let's give this some serious thought.

Yvonne

Would it be unreasonable to consider having an indoor play room for a sulcata about bobs size? I know he is destructive and that they can break through walls, but if they only had to stay in the heated shed when they were sleeping, couldn't they come indoors to a playroom. I'm thinking the padded mats on the lower walls, soccer balls, and ramps, a ball pit filled with dirt that sort of thing. If they had that would they feel so bad about being in cold weather? Maybe its a crazy idea that just wouldn't work but I was wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.