URGENT ADVICE Hermanns tortoise left out in cold shallow WATER, waking up but slow moving?

mmags

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi, I currently live at home and have my 3 year old Hermanns. When I’m not home my mom likes to try to take him outside even though I’ve asked not to unless someone is going to keep a close eye on him while he’s out. Long story short I came home and assumed my tortoise was sleeping in his dome not knowing my mom had taken him outside and forgot to bring him back in. I find out this morning and he was in his pen outside that has dirt and shallow water. He was in the water, I take him out freaking out thinking he’s dead but there is still some movement. I started to warm him up and now he’s awake, eyes are open but he’s just not really wanting to move. This hasn’t happened before does anyone know what to do??? I’m gonna try to get in today to the vet but might not be able to

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Did you try soaking him to warm him up first (make sure the water stays warm)? I'm so sorry this is happening. One of the experts will respond soon! Maybe @Yvonne G or @Tom can help.

mmags

CA
Hi, I currently live at home and have my 3 year old Hermanns. When I’m not home my mom likes to try to take him outside even though I’ve asked not to unless someone is going to keep a close eye on him while he’s out. Long story short I came home and assumed my tortoise was sleeping in his dome not knowing my mom had taken him outside and forgot to bring him back in. I find out this morning and he was in his pen outside that has dirt and shallow water. He was in the water, I take him out freaking out thinking he’s dead but there is still some movement. I started to warm him up and now he’s awake, eyes are open but he’s just not really wanting to move. This hasn’t happened before does anyone know what to do??? I’m gonna try to get in today to the vet but might not be able to
Update: Hes a little more awake now and is currently eating. I’d say he’s still a little slower moving than usual but I’m going to keep an eye on him. Also, since he was in the shallow water I believe overnight, his skin when I first took him out was very soft, his shell still felt hard. His skin is starting to feel more normal but does anyone know if I should skip out on his usual soaks for now because of this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where in CA are you? Different advice for Big Bear vs. Barstow.

It was cold last night here in Santa Clarita, but hermanni are a temperate species and can handle cold nights just fine. I wouldn't do anything different. Give him the opportunity to warm up today, either indoors under a basking lamp, or outdoor in the sun, and he should be totally fine.

Learn from this. I do a visual check every single night to make sure each of my 50+ tortoises is where it is supposed to be and all is good. Humans make mistakes. Other humans who are diligent and dedicated can keep those mistakes from being catastrophic if they pay attention. I go around checking behind my people all the time, and though they are good people, I occasionally catch and correct a mistake or oversight, and they catch mine.

mmags

CA
Where in CA are you? Different advice for Big Bear vs. Barstow.

It was cold last night here in Santa Clarita, but hermanni are a temperate species and can handle cold nights just fine. I wouldn't do anything different. Give him the opportunity to warm up today, either indoors under a basking lamp, or outdoor in the sun, and he should be totally fine.

Learn from this. I do a visual check every single night to make sure each of my 50+ tortoises is where it is supposed to be and all is good. Humans make mistakes. Other humans who are diligent and dedicated can keep those mistakes from being catastrophic if they pay attention. I go around checking behind my people all the time, and though they are good people, I occasionally catch and correct a mistake or oversight, and they catch mine.
Temecula! I was so worried because it got pretty cold last night AND he was in the shallow water. Thanks for the advice, I’ll continue to keep an eye on him. He ate a little less than usual and now he’s going in his dome to sleep which I hope is fine. And 100% 😭 I’m gonna start doing the visual check from now on, this whole situation has me freaked out.

mmags

CA
Did you try soaking him to warm him up first (make sure the water stays warm)? I'm so sorry this is happening. One of the experts will respond soon! Maybe @Yvonne G or @Tom can help.
Thanks for the response! I haven’t soaked him yet because he was in that water for so long so I wasn’t sure, I’m hoping he’s gonna be fine he finished eating but now went in his dome

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Thanks for the response! I haven’t soaked him yet because he was in that water for so long so I wasn’t sure, I’m hoping he’s gonna be fine he finished eating but now went in his dome
Poor little guy. I'm glad he is doing better! 💕. Good action on your part!! Tomorrow is a new day, hopefully some sunshine! 🌞