Using lights with plastic tubs

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
I want to cut out a hole in lid of the plastic tubs to hold the heat and UVB lights. Should I line the holes with that silver insulation tape before setting the lights up? Is there enough heat to cause a fire or melt the plastic. If anyone has pictures of theirs set up this way it would be helpful. Thanks again!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Donna, flourescent lighting does not get hot. However, all of the incandescent lighting gets hot. Anything over 50 watts would in my opinion, melt plastic. Even plastic that gets hot, but doesn't melt might give off fumes/chemicals.
I'm sure that someone will chime in soon that has overcome this situation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have cut holes in the top of plastic totes, lined the rim with tin foil and seta Che or MVB on top withno problems. Make sure the bulb or CHE is over the hole, while the fixture sets around the rim on the tin foil.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. If you are handy with a few basic woodworking tools, you can ditch the questionable plastic lid and substitute in a nice made-to-fit wooden lid. I wasnt comfortable with our initial plastic lid set up, didnt look good, and i didnt like potential fire hazard issues. I took a simple piece of plywood, cut a few holes for lights, mister hose, added a fe hinges, and added a 3/4 inch piece of trim around that serves as an edge to the lid, added a few (two) ceramic light fixtures.

If anyone wants more details, give me a shout. They can be easily made to fit any width, length.

Heres a quick pix. The two blue junction boxes are holding the wiring to the ceramic light fixtures, the dome has a piece of hardware wire beneath, and holds my CHE on thermostat. Three hinges across entire width provided full and complete access.

Mind you, this was for our hatchling.

image.jpg

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Thank you Maro2Bear, it is not that I am not handy, I just don't have the tools. I am embarrassed to say my son works for Makita Power Tools, but he is in NC. I really wish I had someone to help with that. Did you use a jig saw to cut the square out? Looks like you also stapled metal chicken wire to the wood to hold the light in place. Very nice.