uvb and basking spot - russian 3yrs

Ali311

Location (City and/or State)
Southbridge ma
hi, i have a russian, 3 yrs old. he is in a 5ft by 2.5ft enclosure that has a screened top (chicken wire). i have been using a powersun 100 (on top of the chicken wire) but i looked at a chart and noticed that may be too far from him. he is 15 inches away from it. should i get a stronger mvb (powersun 160, mega ray) or should i get a flourescent from acadia (t5 HO 12%). either way, should i cut a hole in the screen? thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only your thermometer can answer this question. Basking area directly under the bulb should be around 95-100.

What size is your tortoise and do you also have an outdoor enclosure for sunning on nice days?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have a three year old Russian that is 6", you have a freak of nature. A three year old Russian tortoise would be nowhere near that large. At 6" you're talking full grown. If this tortoise was purchased from a breeder who knew the hatch date, ok, but if it was purchased at a pet store, they are notoriously bad at telling people a young age because it's a small animal. Pet store Russian tortoises are wild caught and most of them are over 8 or 10 years of age.

Ali311

Southbridge ma
maybe im mistaken on his age then. its possible. he had a growth spurt after we bought him, then it slowed. does this have anything to do with the lighting?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maybe im mistaken on his age then. its possible. he had a growth spurt after we bought him, then it slowed. does this have anything to do with the lighting?
Growth spurts? No, that's all about food.