UVB Light

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
Ready to order an UVB bulb for my 6 year old Russian. I always get a new one for her enclosure every 6 months. I have used the PowerSun 100watt and the Mega Ray in the past. Any new or better ones out there, or just get one of those? She stays outside during the day when warm, but inside during the colder months. Her enclosure is open.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ready to order an UVB bulb for my 6 year old Russian. I always get a new one for her enclosure every 6 months. I have used the PowerSun 100watt and the Mega Ray in the past. Any new or better ones out there, or just get one of those? She stays outside during the day when warm, but inside during the colder months. Her enclosure is open.

Do you have a Solarmeter (use the 6.5 model ONLY) to measure the UV output of your bulbs? If not, you may be replacing the bulbs unnecessarily every 6 months. I would get a Solarmeter and try for a reading of about 3.5 at the substrate level under your bulb. The reading is adjusted by raising and lowering the light to the distance above the substrate which results in the correct reading.

I have always preferred the linear tube UV bulbs personally, but as long as the bulb you are using gives the correct UV reading with the Solarmeter, you are OK.