UVB bulb vs Sun, also I'm freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mthead911

5 Year Member
Ok, so I'm kinda freaking out a bit. I've really want to keep my tortoise healthy, but I can only do so much.

So, I have a terrarium for my tortoise that is a large size to keep him in (all are in the pictures below.) and I have a heat lamp and a UVB light bulb. Unfortunately, I have dogs in my yard, and keeping him outside is almost impossible. They would tear him apart.

Now, Is having a UVB light okay for a long while, or am I slowly torturing my poor little Sev?

I would also mention that his carapace (upper shell) is hard, and his plastron (lower shell) is like hard plastic.

He is also under a year old, and I feed him 80% grass and weeds, and 20% produce vegetables. I also give him calcium and vitamin supplements.

Attachments

• photo (73).JPG
    photo (73).JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 26
  • photo (74).JPG
    photo (74).JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 22
  • photo (75).JPG
    photo (75).JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 30
  • photo (78).JPG
    photo (78).JPG
    311.7 KB · Views: 25
  • photo (79).JPG
    photo (79).JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 32
  • tortoise.jpg
    tortoise.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 29

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
While the bulbs do a great job of taking the place of the sun, they are not perfect. :( The bulbs are inconsistent in thier outputs and how long they can maintain a proper output. Can you keep the dogs locked up for even short periods of time, while your outside with him? Even 15 mins can do amazing wonders. That along with the bulb should work for now. Still keep working on a way for him to safely be able to be outside more.

He looks really nice. Can I ask what is that your using as substrate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi MtHead911 and welcome to the Forum:

I see a couple of things that I would change if it were my terrarium.

The screen on the top of the tank filters out most of the beneficial UV rays, and I can't tell what kind of substrate that is, but it doesn't look like something you can moisten. I would change that out to either cypress mulch or orchid bark. Some of our members use coco coir.

This is the bulb I use:

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/zoomed-powersun-mercury-vapor-bulb/

And Tortoise Supply is one of our sponsors here on the Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.