Uvb strip light

Greenfingers

Location (City and/or State)
Halifax, West Yorkshire. UK.
Hi
I’ve just switched over from the combination uva/uvb MVB to separate basking and uvb strip light (t5 12% Arcadia). I’m in the north of UK so no outside time for 2yr old tortoise at the moment as it’s too cold but wanting to just double check how many hours you’d recommend leaving the uvb strip on each day? Currently I’ve set it on 3-4 hours each afternoon though basking is on 12 hours, in addition to CHE running overnight.
So please answer, how many hours daily should the uvb strip be switched on? Thanks in advance

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Both basking and UVB need to be on for 12-14 hours a day. Use a timer to make your life easier. You are replicating a warm sunny day in the southern Mediterranean region...

The sun’s UVB does not switch off; it even penetrates clouds. It cannot penetrate window glass or walls though so it is vital that you provide it.

A tortoise uses UVB to make Vitamin D which it uses to process dietary calcium and this makes its bones and shell strong.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your CHE should on a thermostat which means that it will only cut in when temperatures drop. You can then run it safely 24/7 knowing that it will only draw any power when it’s needed

Greenfingers

Halifax, West Yorkshire. UK.
Both basking and UVB need to be on for 12-14 hours a day. Use a timer to make your life easier. You are replicating a warm sunny day in the southern Mediterranean region...

The sun’s UVB does not switch off; it even penetrates clouds. It cannot penetrate window glass or walls though so it is vital that you provide it.

A tortoise uses UVB to make Vitamin D which it uses to process dietary calcium and this makes its bones and shell strong.
Ok, that’s no problem. I’ve got it on a timer already but only for 3-4 hours, it’s not a problem for me to increase this for the same duration as the basking bulb. I had originally thought it was 12 hours but then I’d read some other posts which left me wondering