Vacation?

Hankthetank

I play basketball and I'm leaving for 2 days for a tournament down in Oregon (I live in Washington) and I was wondering what I should do for her lighting fixtures..I have a water dish for her and I can give her food right before I leave but I'm not sure weather I should turn off all of her lights or leave them on? She's a Russian tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
you can buy a cheap timer at Home Depot or a hardware store for about $5 or $6.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Timer. It would give you some relief when your home too. Just set it and the lights will come on and go off same time every day. It gives a nice consistency and let's you sleep in if you want:D

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I have my tortoise and my beardie on dual timers. One for day lighting and one for night heating. I've thought about hard wiring it with relays, but timers are cheap. I couldn't imagine not having timers.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
@HermanniChris I've been begging Chris to give some of his secrets on what to do when you go on vacation as a tortoise owner. He has helped me out tremendously. I took his advice, and I didn't lose one tortoise. Guy is genius. Hopefully he gives some advice.

Hankthetank

I have my tortoise and my beardie on dual timers. One for day lighting and one for night heating. I've thought about hard wiring it with relays, but timers are cheap. I couldn't imagine not having timers.
Do I have to reset the timers each time they go off or does it automatically reset themselves?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do I have to reset the timers each time they go off or does it automatically reset themselves?
The timers just work on a 24 hour cycle so they go on and off at the same time every day.

Some are more complicated and you can set different patterns on different days of the week, but you don't need this.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Something like this. Between animals, Christmas lights, and one for the dehydrator I have like eight of these babies laying around. You should be able to find them at any hardware store and most lighting aisles of big stores like Walmart.

GE 24-Hour Plug-In Mechanical Timer with 1 Grounded Outlet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035GF8NA/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20