Very Bizzare Gal Does it again

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
This gal is the same one who back in Feb laid the bizarre oblong egg. Well she has done it again ....This time with 2 super bizarre eggs? I have never seen such build up ....

JD~:rolleyes:

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Any ideas on the cause? I had a female leopard that had a build up on her eggs but she was hunting for a new nesting site for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately all of her eggs still look like duds.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I have seen 'over calcified" or long term retentions .....but nothing like this kind of build up? Her last clutch just fine. Even more strange is the 2 perfect eggs that came with these ....
I doubt myself the "strange one's" are viable ... but we'll wait in see...:oops:

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
if those funny looking egg's hatch i wanna see lol i bet the hatchlings would be unique

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Ouch! I bet it was very painful for her to pass them out ! How is she doing ???

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ouch! I bet it was very painful for her to pass them out ! How is she doing ???
She is doing great ...and actually not a "hard lay" ....went about her usual stuff. This is her 3rd clutch and with some success. Also happens to be the newest addition in my long time herd (acquired her about 1.5 years back). So it's interesting to document her behaviors and for sure ultra bizarre to she why she passes such strange eggs. None the less ....with the oddities of nature and being able to see, document and contribute. Nothing gets better ~
By the way her first weird oblong egg back in Feb. did not hatch out. ....:rolleyes:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
It almost looks like "twin eggs" ...maybe some of the other well versed breeders may have some input?

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Those eggs are so weird ! I really hope they hatch ! It would be amazing to see what comes out of those eggs :D keep us updated ! :D

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Weird!! Was the Feb oblong egg she laid viable?

One of those looks like a little chick!! Maybe you'll be the proud parent of a little chicky soon :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I was thinking twin eggs, too. Like the egg cell somehow partially divided before calcifying? Or like two egg follicles were stuck together, and one didn't fully develop? I don't know enough about tortoise biology to know if that is what happened, but the shape is a bit too egg-like to just be a random build-up. Strange and fascinating, indeed!

It almost looks like "twin eggs" ...maybe some of the other well versed breeders may have some input?

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I think they are cute. I would totally buy a goofy egg baby!! Let me know if the suckers hatch!! ;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yes it's truly amazing what they can pass........

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well Drew ...it has been a tad bit busy .....even the Hypo's getting their groove on ......(there are some other older threads with good shots of both gals laying)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Whoa. Interesting indeed JD. Never seen one with a growth on it like that. Wonder what happens with it down the line. I do have to say I have seen some oblong eggs like that before. That egg was from a leopard, they didn't hatch unfortunately. Hopefully yours will. Hope they hatch and wonder what's going to come out.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Those are really interesting. Once they don't hatch (even though I hope they do), are you going to open them up and see if you can see what was going on there?