Vet visit

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Is this what guy talking about @Tom

Cause I
Don’t have a enclosure to have a light like this right now! He has a bin!

But I do have a glass enclosure but it’s smaller! ?

Attachments

• D2B4D423-5EFC-4D68-B403-D61B81D77FB5.png
    D2B4D423-5EFC-4D68-B403-D61B81D77FB5.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 10

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Only use the calcium with D3 once a week or so.
Use calcium without D3 the rest of the time because with a UVB light he can process his own Calcium.
D3 is needed with less sunlight or less/no UVB
Right now it’s freezing in Vegas!

So
I gave home vitamins today only ? yesterday it was both the calcium with D3 and vitamins! Tomorrow I’ll give him just calcium and D3!

I want him well! Also I was given a light..but I’m not sure what brand it is!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is this what guy talking about @Tom

Cause I
Don’t have a enclosure to have a light like this right now! He has a bin!

But I do have a glass enclosure but it’s smaller! ?
You don't need a double bulb and you don't need the 46" one. The 22" single bulb one will do the job just fine. The one ZP links will be perfect for you.

You can get a large kiddie pool from Walmart in spring, or something similar for an outdoor sunning enclosure. Its a good idea to make a secure lid out of hardware cloth to keep birds and other predators away for the little baby. Its okay of you have to skip a week or two in winter due to cold weather. Just do as much as you can. When the weather warms up, be VERY careful to not over heat you baby. Always have plenty of shade and hiding spots available, and check the temps carefully and often.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Ask her how many semesters she completed on tortoise care and husbandry.

Ive been trying to figure out where the vitamin injection idea comes from. Im not getting very far with primary sources yet, but I did find this little excerpt on a veterinary information site -

Hypovitaminosis A
Vitamin A deficiency is seen frequently in captive turtles and tortoises, despite the availability of many supplements high in beta-carotene which is converted to vitamin A. Symptoms include palpebral edema, chronic respiratory disease, and renal disease. Squamous metaplasia of epithelium results in thick, sticky discharge and swollen eyelids, often with secondary infections of the eyes, respiratory system, and skin. Treatment consists of daily soaks to allow the animal to drink, gentle rinsing of the eyes, application of an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment, and administration of vitamin A at 200 IU/kg.

Seems to link the puffy eyes to Vit A deficiency, although sticky discharge would be pretty obvious with most torts. Im just curious what vets are reading/being taught that leads them to go straight to vitamin A all the time. Maybe it really is an indication of how bad most torts are raised and vets see a long line of malnourished torts. I dont know, I'll keep looking for the primary sources though.

source of this - https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/arti...-prevention-and-treatment-of-common-disorders

This is an interesting site as well - https://studbooks.eu/articles/all-about-vitamins-minerals-and-tortoises/

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
You don't need a double bulb and you don't need the 46" one. The 22" single bulb one will do the job just fine. The one ZP links will be perfect for you.

You can get a large kiddie pool from Walmart in spring, or something similar for an outdoor sunning enclosure. Its a good idea to make a secure lid out of hardware cloth to keep birds and other predators away for the little baby. Its okay of you have to skip a week or two in winter due to cold weather. Just do as much as you can. When the weather warms up, be VERY careful to not over heat you baby. Always have plenty of shade and hiding spots available, and check the temps carefully and often.
Deeply noted!! ??
I’ll see what I can come up with!!
Cause it’s been snowing in my state! Probably won’t be able to bring him out till March! So I’ll figure something out!! ??

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Deeply noted!! ??
I’ll see what I can come up with!!
Cause it’s been snowing in my state! Probably won’t be able to bring him out till March! So I’ll figure something out!! ??
Also if you search amazon and ebay as well as general "reptile lighting" websites you can find these same lights for much better prices.