Vet

Coconugget

I'm bringing Coconut to the vet but I don't know what to put her in. The vet is pretty far from where I live and the place it's in is very busy so I don't really want to go there by car. I'm most likely taking her through subway, but I'm not sure if they allow it since they don't allow dogs and cats. I want her to be put in something where she'll feel comfortable but I don't want it to be too heavy either. I expect the trip to the vet on subway to be at least an hour.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I'm bringing Coconut to the vet but I don't know what to put her in. The vet is pretty far from where I live and the place it's in is very busy so I don't really want to go there by car. I'm most likely taking her through subway, but I'm not sure if they allow it since they don't allow dogs and cats. I want her to be put in something where she'll feel comfortable but I don't want it to be too heavy either. I expect the trip to the vet on subway to be at least an hour.

Is the tortoise sick?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm not 100% sure she has respiratory infection, but she has watery eyes and her breath is sometimes raspy and loud.
May we see a pic of the tortoise face..eyes.... watery eyes are not alone a sign of resp infection...is the tortoise lethargic? Is it active..does it have mucus coming from its mouth?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Water eyes suggests being kept too dry, not an RI. Raspy breath does sound like an RI though.

I saw in your other post you let temperatures go down to 70F. Have you fixed that yet? Don't let her get colder than 80F, day or night. 85F if she is showing RI symptoms.

Coconugget

May we see a pic of the tortoise face..eyes.... watery eyes are not alone a sign of resp infection...is the tortoise lethargic? Is it active..does it have mucus coming from its mouth?

I'm sorry, but I don't allow pictures to be shared yet :( I don't think my tortoise is lethargic. She is very excited when I let her out of the enclosure and responds to loud sounds and touches. And there is no mucus coming from her mouth

Coconugget

Water eyes suggests being kept too dry, not an RI. Raspy breath does sound like an RI though.

I saw in your other post you let temperatures go down to 70F. Have you fixed that yet? Don't let her get colder than 80F, day or night. 85F if she is showing RI symptoms.

I adjusted it to be 80 or higher day or night

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think that Ed's (@ZEROPILOT ) is a good idea. But I would firstly check that animals are allowed on public transportation. Here in Jordan, they are not.

Hope to hear your tort's better SOON and please keep us updated.

Coconugget

I think that Ed's (@ZEROPILOT ) is a good idea. But I would firstly check that animals are allowed on public transportation. Here in Jordan, they are not.

Hope to hear your tort's better SOON and please keep us updated.

I apologize, but Ed's what..? And I researched and you are allowed to bring animals as long as they can be held or kept in something.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I apologize, but Ed's what..? And I researched and you are allowed to bring animals as long as they can be held or kept in something.
Ed is @ZEROPILOT whose alert is the following:

"How about a simple cardboard box?
Maybe even make some handles out of string."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Gillian meant that Ed's suggest is a good one. Ed's username is ZEROPILOT. His suggestion is posted up at the beginning of this thread.