Vietnamese big-headed turtle (Platysternon megacephalum shiui)

Daniel Hortis

Location (City and/or State)
Shanghai
I got this guy 2 years ago from a dealer. And it is likely to be a WC specimen.
It has a preference for dark environments and a massive number of hideouts. And it appeared to be very active at night. Indicating its nocturnal behavior.
It did a pretty good job under the provision of an omnivorous diet. Patterns have already been shown in his head and carapace.
Not growing very fast, but relatively health and fit.57dee3c98f75165a7625a1b8d0c8198.jpg71506aaecefdf5968bf3204d447ea8c.jpg26554406afccd389037fdcc75586e1b.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very interesting turtle. someone turned one in to my rescue several years ago and I decided to keep it rather than adopt it out. Bad choice. I knew nothing about them and evidentally didn't provide the correct care. He never ate and eventually died. We have another member (that I know of) who has at least one of these turtles - @Jamesterelleturtles

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very interesting turtle. someone turned one in to my rescue several years ago and I decided to keep it rather than adopt it out. Bad choice. I knew nothing about them and evidentally didn't provide the correct care. He never ate and eventually died. We have another member (that I know of) who has at least one of these turtles - @Jamesterelleturtles
And @harris too.

BlueWind10001

as
I got this guy 2 years ago from a dealer. And it is likely to be a WC specimen.
It has a preference for dark environments and a massive number of hideouts. And it appeared to be very active at night. Indicating its nocturnal behavior.
It did a pretty good job under the provision of an omnivorous diet. Patterns have already been shown in his head and carapace.
Not growing very fast, but relatively health and fit.
beautiful. But China now has artificially bred offspring.

Attachments

• 19060aaf6df53a99716b8a1f378bc5a.jpg
    19060aaf6df53a99716b8a1f378bc5a.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 1

Daniel Hortis

Shanghai
That's really cool! I've been planning to find a mate for her when it come of age! I heard that there is a threshold for breeding these turtles and that it is difficult to have female spawn. Anyway, you've done an excellent job with that!
beautiful. But China now has artificially bred offspriing.

beautiful. But China now has artificially bred offspring.

Daniel Hortis

Shanghai
Very interesting turtle. someone turned one in to my rescue several years ago and I decided to keep it rather than adopt it out. Bad choice. I knew nothing about them and evidentally didn't provide the correct care. He never ate and eventually died. We have another member (that I know of) who has at least one of these turtles
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the turtle. It sounds like a challenging situation. If there's anything I can do to help or if you'd like more information for future care, please feel free to reach out.