Vitashell for sulcatas

willovr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Juan, PR
I want to know if this turtle vita shell is recomended for sulcata tortoise..

If yes, how many times? Daily? Weekly?

Thanks.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386633092.276693.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Liked by many tortoise keepers and their tortoises look fabulous. I love using extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil on my babies. Will have to see what results I get ...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some people recommend it, and some people don't. The package says to use it once a week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Go to the top of any Forum page. Enter "Vita shell" in the google custom search box. You will get back many, many threads where we have talked about the pros and cons of using Vita shell.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
:tort:
I use Vitashell everyday on my leopard hatchling and about 2-3" sully that i rescued from a bad pet store.
I really helped the sullys shell, when I first brought him/her home, poor little fella was very dry and shell had already started pyramiding.
It keeps my leopards shell very smooth even when despite all of my efforts I can't get the humidity just right. I can tell difference with using than when I didn't use

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I'm a BIG believer in Vita-Shell! I recommend once a week. Because build up can occure, every 6 weeks or so I will use a soft toothbrush on their shells to remove any build up.

This is the results I have after 2 years...

Eros....

Gaia....

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Zamric said:
I'm a BIG believer in Vita-Shell! I recommend once a week. Because build up can occure, every 6 weeks or so I will use a soft toothbrush on their shells to remove any build up.

This is the results I have after 2 years...

Eros....

Gaia....

Wow! Beautiful! Are your other specs the closed chamber high humidity? Also, what do you feed? Those are some pretty little guys!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
They did stay in closed chamber High Heat/Humidity for the 1st 18 months but this Summer was 24/7 outside and now they are back inside but I'm not so anal about the HUMIDITY like I was. They eat just about any green, leafy vegitables and they get Mazurri a couple of times a week.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Zamric said:
They did stay in closed chamber High Heat/Humidity for the 1st 18 months but this Summer was 24/7 outside and now they are back inside but I'm not so anal about the HUMIDITY like I was. They eat just about any green, leafy vegitables and they get Mazurri a couple of times a week.

Thanks for sharing. I have 2 at six months old and 2 at three months old and my two oldest are looking great so far. They are Tortadise babies. My two youngest are Greg T. babies and they are going gang busters. All four are smooth as butter....so far. My Sullies on the other hand are starting to show signs of pyramiding. I don't get it as they are all housed in identical chambers. I may just try this vita-shell and see what happens.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Eros & Gaia are beautiful. What a great job raising them. And, of course, WalkingRock is one of my favorites.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
willovr said:
I want to know if this turtle vita shell is recomended for sulcata tortoise..

If yes, how many times? Daily? Weekly?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm always a little nerves about products and what they are mix with.

I use vitamin E oil every 3 weeks. Why? Because is natural and my tortoise sell can absorb natural stuff. I don't do it often bc I feel it would clog ( like when you put to much lotion or make up on your face)
It help with the dry shell ( if you soak your tortoise you can see the water lines or just the dry of the heat.)

I just put a drop in my fingers and I warm it up then rub the shell gently and use a little as a need.
It should not be crazy greasy instead just bit shiny. I focus on the fry creases.

This is only my opinion and it works for Penny my sulcata

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Saleama said:
Zamric said:

Thanks for sharing. I have 2 at six months old and 2 at three months old and my two oldest are looking great so far. They are Tortadise babies. My two youngest are Greg T. babies and they are going gang busters. All four are smooth as butter....so far. My Sullies on the other hand are starting to show signs of pyramiding. I don't get it as they are all housed in identical chambers. I may just try this vita-shell and see what happens.

WalkingRock was raised with Vita-shell once a week since his hatching...before we knew about High heat/humidity and he is very smooth for his age and size (13 years/ 115lbs)