VitaShell

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I know not to use wax on turtle/tort shells but is it OK to use VitaShell? It says it can be used weekly but I have been using it every 3 or 4 months. It is a shell & skin conditioner.
Patsy

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
This is what the add at Dr. Fosters stated
"A deep-penetrating, concentrated, skin and shell conditioning cream for turtles. Non-greasy formula combines moisturizers, conditioners, and proteins in a unique, deep-penetrating cream that helps revitalize dry, brittle shells and skin. Apply to your turtle's shell or skin with your hand or a brush daily for one week, then apply cream every other day. 2 oz."

Turtle Vitashellâ„¢
Ingredients: Purified Softened Water, Sunflower Oil, Emulsifying Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, Glycerin, Lanolin, Cottonseed Oil, Steramidopropyl, Dimethylamine Lactate, Protein Conditioners, Diazolidnyl Urea, Rosemary Oil, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, FD&C Yellow #6.

Personally, I would not use this on my torts. Seven types of oil, wax and alcohol plus stuff I can't even pronounce.
Like with people using oils tends to only mask problems, or add to them. Problems that are usually diet related. Kind of you are what you eat and drink thought process. Rather look to nutritional and/or humidifying problems.

If you want the shell to look nice just give it a little light scrub with a soft brush Natural is beautiful.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Yea, i agree.
People in the old days use to oil and wax their tortoises.
You shouldn't really be putting anything but clean warm WATER on their shells

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to take tortoises to educational displays, and to have them looking "beautiful" I would first give them a good bath. Scrubbing lightly with a soft bristle brush to remove any debris. Then I'd dry off the shell and dab a bit of mineral oil all over the shell. Then I'd take a soft cotton cloth and polish the oil off, making sure to have every inch of the shell covered, and keep polishing until you couldn't feel any oil. Mineral oil is non-absorbtive, so you don't have to worry about it getting absorbed into the tortoise.

The problem with putting anything on a tortoise's shell in the way of wax or oil or even Vita-Shell, is that as soon as you put the tortoise back outside or back into his habitat, all the dirt and dust that he kicks up adheres to your oil (or polish). So he might look pretty for a second or two, but soon will look much worse than he did before the application of whatever.

Yvonne

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i also agreed it's not good to our tort, but anyway, can we give it to them at once or not so often?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I wouldn't. The only thing it's good for is the manufactorer.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
as Terry stated "Nothing.. never.. ever!"
If it has already been done I would stop and not continue using anything but water and a soft brush if needed.
Remember their shell is living, it has pours and oils and waxes clog pours.
People can paint their nails because it take up so little of their overall body it does not harm them.
Torts on the other hand are 99 % shell. --Just my opinion!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Redfootedboxturtles said:
Kiwi and mango have natural vitamin E. Witch is great for tortoise shells.

I never thought of that, and Papaya is great for a facial for humans and as a meat tenderizer. Learn something eveyday around here.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Are you putting these fruits on the tort or in the tort? Also, if I remaimber correctly, kiwi has a negitive phosophrus/calcium ratio.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Itort said:
Are you putting these fruits on the tort or in the tort? Also, if I remaimber correctly, kiwi has a negitive phosophrus/calcium ratio.

I personally don't do either Put it on their shells or feed it to them, Papaya, kiwi and mango are all fruits and I rarely give my torts fruits. Unless they have been under the weather and it's to jumpstart their appetites then a berry here or there but that's it.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I must remember not everyone has forest type torts. What type of torts do you have, Patsy?

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah thats right Crazy1 , I have a ton of redfoots and its not heathy to feed your greek torts fruit. Dark leafy greens have a a lot of vit E in them also. Sounds better for your greeks.

Doing some research Vit. E is amazing for us too! You also absorb more Vit E when its digested with fat. The were talking about the dark and yellow leafy veggies eaten with salad dressing lowers cholesterol.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
I must remember not everyone has forest type torts. What type of torts do you have, Patsy?

I have Redfoots, Sulcatas, Russians, Boxes, & a MS gopher.

Thanks for all the input. I have only used the Vita Shell maybe 4 times in the past 2 years...A couple of those were to make them handsome when I was taking them to my grandchildren's school. I actually did not see the word "wax" when I read the teeny words listed as ingredients. I knew not to use wax!

So it IS ok to open Vitamin A capsules & massage it into their shell? They are very healthy but it just makes them look "purty"!
Patsy

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
scrub their shells with warm water and a soft tooth brush if you want to clean them up. Otherwise for heath feed a high quality diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.