Want to see pictures of Sulcatas, any size! Pretty Please share

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Zameric... your Sulcata is soooo pretty and smooth. Have you had him since he was a hatchling?? Im very very very curious if how you kept his shell that amazing looking. I want Gupta to look like that so bad, i really hope he does!
Thanks for posting the picture
How old is your Sulcata? :)

My wife has had Walking Rock since the day he hatched in Aug of 2000. He is 11 years old and weighs in at about 80-85 lbs. he has had a diet of cabbage, carrots and broccily most all his life. For the last 4 years he has grazed the backyard (I have 4 differant grasses for him to eat that bloom at differant times of the year) and is supplimented with dry Tortuse food. He really likes strawberries, but that is a very rare treat!..

We had to but a dogtag on his shell because he has gotten out of the yard twice... mush to the ammazment of the neibors!
[/quote]

Ha that is so cool. How does he get out of the yard?
Do you remember whether or not you did the 80% humidity in his enclosure when he was too little to stay outside all the time? I have read that this is the key to having a good looking Sulcata like yours and I am implementing it with Gupta. I am asking everyone with wonderful, smooth Sulcatas if that is how they managed it
[/quote]

WalkingRock spent his formative years (1st 4year) living inside a Montessori classroom of Pre-schoolers (3-6 yr olds) in Northern California. I know in that time he went thru several inclosure from a small glass tank to a small outside Summer domain. He was givin' to her by a parent in the classroom that also handled them at the San Diago Zoo. She says no attintion was paid to humidity levels, she just didnt let him get cold.
Here is a pic of the 1st "incloser" I made for WalkingRock. He live outside on our second story balcony. He was 5 when we 1st met.
[/quote]

Thats so weird because your tortoise looks fabulous , barely any pyramiding, and everyone swears that humidity is the key to keep Sulcatas from pyramiding. I completely believe that it affects pyramiding, in the wild Sulcatas live in very hot, humid burrows especially when they are hatchlings. I made Gupta's winter enclosure to be just like a burrow with acrylic sheets, so I could see him, attached by a wooden frame and I screwed a big piece of plywood over the top with precut holes so that his light fixtures could just sit on top and wouldn't have to bother with any clamps. I tapped foil to the bottom of the plywood top so that it wouldn't take so much electricity to keep it warm. It is a huge hot burrow pretty much. Its insanely humid in there because I covered the top. He loves it, he always sleeps pressed up against the dripping wet sides from all the humidity. and I grow grass in it for him to graze on. :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Pyramiding is cause by humidity? I always thought it was due to enclosure being to small and bad diet?
DSCF1096.jpg

The little guy in this pic was raised with WalkingRock but is exactly 1 tear younger. When my wife left California for Texas thier life styles changed... where WalkingRock had all the space he needed for walking and a good and proper diet, Rocky lived in a large dog kennel and was fed salad scaps and random vegies. They where seperated for 2 1/2 years.
WalkingRockNewFriend004.jpg

In this pic they are freshly re-united and Rocky was so fat he couldn't close up inside his shell and he is terribly pyramided. This last pic is 5 years old and in that time he moved to his own yard with a good friend of mine and is almost as big as WalkingRock is now and the pyramiding stopped. I belive having enough room to walk is as much a key to good shell shape as is diet.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Skipper (42lbs) and Buddy (31lbs). They are 4yrs old. This is a picture of them helping me trim the bushes in the front yard :) They are good little helpers haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20110921_143739.jpg
    IMG_20110921_143739.jpg
    806.5 KB · Views: 70

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
Pyramiding is cause by humidity? I always thought it was due to enclosure being to small and bad diet?
DSCF1096.jpg

The little guy in this pic was raised with WalkingRock but is exactly 1 tear younger. When my wife left California for Texas thier life styles changed... where WalkingRock had all the space he needed for walking and a good and proper diet, Rocky lived in a large dog kennel and was fed salad scaps and random vegies. They where seperated for 2 1/2 years.
WalkingRockNewFriend004.jpg

In this pic they are freshly re-united and Rocky was so fat he couldn't close up inside his shell and he is terribly pyramided. This last pic is 5 years old and in that time he moved to his own yard with a good friend of mine and is almost as big as WalkingRock is now and the pyramiding stopped. I belive having enough room to walk is as much a key to good shell shape as is diet.

Humidity doesn't cause pyramiding, having a enclosure of 80% humidity or higher is suppose to prevent pyramiding. I have Gupta in a 2 feet by 4 feet table right now for winter, he is still tiny. like one and half inches. do you think thats a big enough space? I take him outside when its nice and sunny and at least 70 degrees which has been often but he just likes to lay there and sun. I think he should get more exercise but I don't know how to get him to really walk around a lot . He likes to just sleep and sun in the warmth of his enclosure or sun

tiff3grl said:
Skipper (42lbs) and Buddy (31lbs). They are 4yrs old. This is a picture of them helping me trim the bushes in the front yard :) They are good little helpers haha.

They are both really really pretty, I hope my Gupta looks like that. I say that to people with beautiful sulcatas all the time lol

I took these so everyone could tell me if his shell looks good or not
:)
img4320b.jpg

img4307h.jpg

img4294pa.jpg

img4277u.jpg

img4253l.jpg

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
BrinnANDGupta said:
Humidity doesn't cause pyramiding, having a enclosure of 80% humidity or higher is suppose to prevent pyramiding. I have Gupta in a 2 feet by 4 feet table right now for winter, he is still tiny. like one and half inches. do you think thats a big enough space? I take him outside when its nice and sunny and at least 70 degrees which has been often but he just likes to lay there and sun. I think he should get more exercise but I don't know how to get him to really walk around a lot . He likes to just sleep and sun in the warmth of his enclosure or sun

They are both really really pretty, I hope my Gupta looks like that. I say that to people with beautiful sulcatas all the time lol

See!!? There it is!! Eight behind Gupta's head on carapace is like a little vein looking thing..!! One of my girls has that too!! I was eyeballing her today wondering if it was an early indicator of anything??? Or.. If that's just how she was made..?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
His Shell is gorgous! His back panel looks chipped, is that its Natural shape? is so i think its cool! WalkingRocks looks like a cupped shield and hides his tail completly... in-fact we often have to scoop the poop when it hangs up inside btween the tail and the shell

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
JLSchmittou said:
BrinnANDGupta said:

See!!? There it is!! Eight behind Gupta's head on carapace is like a little vein looking thing..!! One of my girls has that too!! I was eyeballing her today wondering if it was an early indicator of anything??? Or.. If that's just how she was made..?

Really ? Will u post a picture of it , idk what it is Gupta has had It since I got him

Zamric said:
His Shell is gorgous! His back panel looks chipped, is that its Natural shape? is so i think its cool! WalkingRocks looks like a cupped shield and hides his tail completly... in-fact we often have to scoop the poop when it hangs up inside btween the tail and the shell

ooooo that sounds like a really fun thing to have to do :/ lol Yea I see what your seeing to and its been like that ever since I got him. I figured it was just a hatchling thing maybe..??

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
BrinnANDGupta said:
JLSchmittou said:
BrinnANDGupta said:

Really ? Will u post a picture of it , idk what it is Gupta has had It since I got him

Zamric said:

ooooo that sounds like a really fun thing to have to do :/ lol Yea I see what your seeing to and its been like that ever since I got him. I figured it was just a hatchling thing maybe..??

This was taken not too long ago.. But you can see it on both of them.. and they also have that "Chip" that Zamric commented about on the back panel.. That's how they came, I don't know that it's an issue... ?001.JPG001.JPG

JLSchmittou said:
BrinnANDGupta said:
JLSchmittou said:
BrinnANDGupta said:

Zamric said:

This was taken not too long ago.. But you can see it on both of them.. and they also have that "Chip" that Zamric commented about on the back panel.. That's how they came, I don't know that it's an issue... ?

One more time.. Maybe the right picture this time...??

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    804.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
yah i do see it quite clearly... no wait... thats a head, not a tail... mayby I dont see it so well after all. hehehehe

Here is a good pic of WalkingRock in full retreat... as you can see his rear panel acually starts cupping under and forms an opening for the tail in conjunction with the bottom shell.

IMG_1135-2.jpg

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Yuck, yuck!! Yeah, my phone hates me and this website hates me.. so those itty bitty thumbnails is all I've got for right now.. You'll just have to take my word for it ;)

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Heres my Sully!!! Love this little dude so much

Sully sleeping on tomatoe.jpg

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
JLSchmittou said:
Yuck, yuck!! Yeah, my phone hates me and this website hates me.. so those itty bitty thumbnails is all I've got for right now.. You'll just have to take my word for it ;)

I can see what u were talking about in the pictures u posted , I don't think that it is an unhealthy thing cause your babies look great. They are soooooo stinking cute lol I just think Its a hatchling thing that goes away as they get older. But I am not sure on that all I know is that Gupta is active, eats a lot, and has really bright eyes as do yours. I don't think its an issue :) I really do love your little hatchlings. What's their name ? It makes me want another hatchling so bad to go with Gupta lol

nikki0601 said:

Awwww how cute!! How old is he ? What's that bright red stuff that Sully is eating . Looks like he/she loves it. I might try feeding Gupta some. I put cut up cactus in his cage for the first time today and he loved it ! He also loves the seed mix I grow in his cage. The Clovers are his favorite :D
Thanks for posting a picture of Sully , so pretty :tort:

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
BrinnANDGupta said:
I can see what u were talking about in the pictures u posted , I don't think that it is an unhealthy thing cause your babies look great. They are soooooo stinking cute lol I just think Its a hatchling thing that goes away as they get older. But I am not sure on that all I know is that Gupta is active, eats a lot, and has really bright eyes as do yours. I don't think its an issue :) I really do love your little hatchlings. What's their name ? It makes me want another hatchling so bad to go with Gupta lol

Awwww how cute!! How old is he ? What's that bright red stuff that Sully is eating . Looks like he/she loves it. I might try feeding Gupta some. I put cut up cactus in his cage for the first time today and he loved it ! He also loves the seed mix I grow in his cage. The Clovers are his favorite :D

One is named Bishop because she has a marking that looks like a cross... And the other one is nameless at this point, my husband and I can't agree so I might have to make an executive decision and name her Priest after one of my more highly regarded football players, Priest Holmes.. Then there is the Bishop/Priest thing.... Soooo... That's the story... Gotta get a butt shot...

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
Zamric said:
My wife has had Walking Rock since the day he hatched in Aug of 2000. He is 11 years old and weighs in at about 80-85 lbs. he has had a diet of cabbage, carrots and broccily most all his life. For the last 4 years he has grazed the backyard (I have 4 differant grasses for him to eat that bloom at differant times of the year) and is supplimented with dry Tortuse food. He really likes strawberries, but that is a very rare treat!..

We had to but a dogtag on his shell because he has gotten out of the yard twice... mush to the ammazment of the neibors!

I really like the dog tag idea! How did you get it to stick?

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
BrinnANDGupta said:
JLSchmittou said:

nikki0601 said:

I dont know his hatch date, trying to find out but based on his weight and size he just a few weeks.. That bright red is a tomatoe, I know I can only offer him fruits very very seldom if ever but I love wtching him eat and wanted to find out what he likes, he did not show interest in eating the tomatoe, he used it as a pillow after eating his greens he fell asleep on it, lol, he like having a pillow, most everyday he will use his calcium bone to lay on, see pic below

sully and his cuttle bone.jpg
Sully Soaking.jpg

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Morty the Torty said:
Zamric said:

I really like the dog tag idea! How did you get it to stick?

I tried several things and a couple of differant places. The original spot was on his pack panel like a licenes plate but he would scrape it off climbing off the deck. then I put it in its current spot but it fell from there too till my friend gave me a little super strenth 2 part epoxy used in bridge building.... I just hope I never have to change the darn thing!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
nikki0601 said:
BrinnANDGupta said:
JLSchmittou said:

nikki0601 said:

I dont know his hatch date, trying to find out but based on his weight and size he just a few weeks.. That bright red is a tomatoe, I know I can only offer him fruits very very seldom if ever but I love wtching him eat and wanted to find out what he likes, he did not show interest in eating the tomatoe, he used it as a pillow after eating his greens he fell asleep on it, lol, he like having a pillow, most everyday he will use his calcium bone to lay on, see pic below

Gupta doesn't care much for tomato or strawberry or pumpkin which I try to feed him once a week cause thats what I have been sprinkling his vitamin D3 and calcium powder on. He just wants the grass and Clovers that grow in his cage, so I am having trouble getting his supplements to him. I will put lettuce and cut up cactus and collard greens , turnip greens, and mustard greens in there with him with the power sprinkled over it but sometimes he won't even eat that. Is there another way to give the supplements ?

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I've read u can put supplements in their soaking water, dont see any reason this wouldnt work but probably isn't as good as him actually eating it, guess if I were u I would mist his grazing area then sprinkle his supplements right there, thats just me thpugh, I'm not near an expert but there are many here so maybe someone will chime in

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
BrinnandGupta and Zamric, Please read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding#axzz1cMwic2Hn

Pyramiding has little or nothing to do with diet or enclosure size. That is old outdated info.

A good diet and room to exercise IS important for a healthy tortoise, but it has very little relation to pyramiding.

Also, all sulcatas tend to start smoothing out at around 12". So even if they've had a bumpy start, many of them turn out looking pretty good. This corresponds to the time where you would start seeing them out in the open above ground in the wild. Prior to that they stay pretty well hidden.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:
BrinnandGupta and Zamric, Please read this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding#axzz1cMwic2Hn

Pyramiding has little or nothing to do with diet or enclosure size. That is old outdated info.

A good diet and room to exercise IS important for a healthy tortoise, but it has very little relation to pyramiding.

Also, all sulcatas tend to start smoothing out at around 12". So even if they've had a bumpy start, many of them turn out looking pretty good. This corresponds to the time where you would start seeing them out in the open above ground in the wild. Prior to that they stay pretty well hidden.
Tom..Gupta is living in a 2 foot by 4 foot tortoise table I built and I took ur humidity thing to a kinda extreme. I covered the top of it with a sheet of plywood with precursor holes for the lights and screwed it down so that no heat or moisture could escape out the top of the sides or bottom. and I taped foil on the bottom of the top of the cage so that the heat from the lights would reflect back down into the cage. I have peat moss for substrate .
The humidity in there stays at 100% with the foil on the top coveted in water and dripping and the sides are foggy everywhere and dripping water. And Its like 90 degrees throughout the whole enclosure. Hotter under the lights, I wanted to make sure have him in such a stuffy damp humid enclosure was okay. He Is pretty much always a little wet but very very warm. And I soak him twice for long periods in the enclosure by the heat lights so the water and him stay warm. and for a little bit more fresh oxygen I have grass and Clovers growing in it. But I'm just wondering If Its okay for him to be in that much humidity and covered like that. I of course take him outside to sun everyday for an hour and exercise. I just wanted ur professional opinion on his set up. I don't have a picture but I can post one .

O and Tom do u breed and sell leopard's too or just sulcatas ? :) how much do u sell ur culcata hatchlings for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.