(was told this was a cherryhead)?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
So my girlfriend surprised me today with a new turtle! She knew ive been looking for one and specifiacally a cherryhead.. She called thia reptile place (zoo creatures) in plaistow NH.. Im thinking they tricked her and charged her 250$ for a normal redfoot.. I feel bad she got tricked into this.. Heres some picss.. Any sugestions of what to do?

View attachment 16315

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
$250 !!!!! Damn man...will it lay golden eggs?...bring it back and try to get a refund.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Looks like a cherryhead: dark carapace and slightly bulbous red nose. If the plastron is dark and/or marbled, better bet. Look for a red scale on the forearm that is spur-like as well (I think I can see it, but it's tough in that picture).

I'd say you have a cherryhead and it appears to be pretty well sized, thus the hefty price-tag?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The term 'cherryhead' is mostly a marketing term for a colorful red-footed. That aside, the 'classic' 'Brazilian red color morph' tortoise should have certain characteristics.
- Mostly dark plastron, usually with fairly symmetrical mottling. If the plastron is mostly light colored, it is almost certainly a Northern type of red-footed.
- Enlarged, colorful scale on the inside of each 'elbow'.
- Few colorful scales on the head, generally all of the same color. Skin color on the neck is dark.
- Leg color and head color generally match.
- Colorful nose, slightly bulbous.

It is hard to tell much from the photo provided, but it could go either way.

What does the seller charge for a 'normal' red-footed? Did they describe what they meant by 'cherryhead' at all?

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I cannot help on distinguishing the difference between a red foot or a cherry..But
I know the owner of zoo creatures...He has always been a straight shooter... If you have any concerns... I'm sure he will be more than happy to address them... His name is Kevin...Just ask for him..(maybe one of his less knowledgeable employees made a mistake) he spends most of his time in the other half of the building... He deals mostly with the breeding and wholesale of animals... If someone made a mistake he will make good...Of that I'm certain...

You could Shoot him an email...with a pic.. I know he spends a good part of his day answering emails...

I also want to mention..Nerds has never been inexpensive... He takes very good care of all his animals... They all get wormed a few times before they leave his building or get put up for sale... That said... Not sure what a red foot or a cherry costs..

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Tony would you have his email address on hand? I would greatly appreciate that

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
jareeed2 said:
Tony would you have his email address on hand? I would greatly appreciate that

Jareeed.. It's been a few yrs since I talked to him... I no longer have his email address... But don't call zoo creatures... I believe nerds has a separate number...and Kevin usually (used to )answers the Nerd line himself....but again this was before the big building and all the books..

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
has tell tell signs of a cherry ,,,the bulbous nose, large spur on front legs ....interesting thing is the light plastron, could be a mix~:shy:

JD~:)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
jareeed2 said:
Im thinking the same thing JD..

Jareeed Im pretty sure he doesn't breed any Torts... At least he never did a few yrs ago.... His bread and butter has always been ball morphs...

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Yaa im gonna be giving them a call.. Im just thinking they seen a teenage girl walking in not knowing anything about torts and took advantage of her.. 250 for a half mix of a northern and a cherry head?? A bit priceyy..

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
N2TORTS said:
has tell tell signs of a cherry ,,,the bulbous nose, large spur on front legs ....interesting thing is the light plastron, could be a mix~:shy:

JD~:)

My thoughts too. The low number of colored scales on the front legs along with the other characteristics say cherryhead. But the off colored nose and light plastron scream 'northern!'

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
:( i really wanted to start up wiith speccifically cherryheads..
Now i have 3 northerners..

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
I must say.. He is running around and has a great personalityy!! Awesome tort

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Im definatly thinking hes a mix.. Think im nameing him "littlefoot"

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
He's really pretty. Overpriced, but I think I would have trouble taking him back for a refund, myself.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Lol ya i feel awful! I feel like the tort will be sad! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.