Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
jareeed2 said:
Madkins007 said:
With the second set of photos, I think I would call this one a pure or at least a 'mostly' Northern. While it does have some 'cherry' characteristics, they are not 'strongly' cherry and from what I can tell from my research, the plastron is sort of the trump card- not a Brazilian if it is a light plastron.

Lol your killing me madkins

Sorry! It really bugs me that so many people are sticking the term 'cherry head' to little colorful red-footeds to boost the prices. They do the same with 'dwarf' as well and that is even more of a scam.

The ORIGINAL cherry-heads were named in 1984 by an employee at a major US distributor when they opened a shipment of extra colorful red-heads from a new source. The little guys were a brilliant red and very distinctive- very unlike previous shipments. At the time, the term just defined the coloration. Since then, we have slowly developed a better understanding of the group. (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/red-foots/red-footed--cherry-head )

So now we have a situation where anyone can call a colorful red-footed a 'cherry head' with impunity since it really does not mean anything. We've got people with mixed herds letting Brazilians and Northerns interbreed and sticking whatever label they want on the babies. We've got people sorting pure baby Northerns and calling the colorful ones 'cherry heads', and so on.

It is really sad that such a cool animal has such a confused background!

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
Looks like u been had...

This is my redfoot
cef31450.jpg

This is my cherry
db8dd920.jpg

And side by side
575442ae.jpg

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Kasper2reds said:
Looks like u been had...

This is my redfoot

This is my cherry

And side by side

Lol "ive been had" what does that mean?

Madkins007 said:
Sorry! It really bugs me that so many people are sticking the term 'cherry head' to little colorful red-footeds to boost the prices. They do the same with 'dwarf' as well and that is even more of a scam.

The ORIGINAL cherry-heads were named in 1984 by an employee at a major US distributor when they opened a shipment of extra colorful red-heads from a new source. The little guys were a brilliant red and very distinctive- very unlike previous shipments. At the time, the term just defined the coloration. Since then, we have slowly developed a better understanding of the group. (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/red-foots/red-footed--cherry-head )

So now we have a situation where anyone can call a colorful red-footed a 'cherry head' with impunity since it really does not mean anything. We've got people with mixed herds letting Brazilians and Northerns interbreed and sticking whatever label they want on the babies. We've got people sorting pure baby Northerns and calling the colorful ones 'cherry heads', and so on.

It is really sad that such a cool animal has such a confused background!

Unfortunate that it happened but oh well.. Hea a really cool tort.. But. Noww when the timecomes in a few years do i let this one breeed with Northerns, or a cherry?

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
jareeed2 said:
Lol "ive been had" what does that mean?

Unfortunate that it happened but oh well.. Hea a really cool tort.. But. Noww when the timecomes in a few years do i let this one breeed with Northerns, or a cherry?

It's a joke from an old tv show, just means u probably overpaid. However he is very cool looking! Might even be a mixed redfoot and cherry head offspring because he does show signs of both species, but definitely favors the redfoots

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
From the last picture with the dog, I say Cherryhead...but does that really matter. He is a good looking tort as everyone else has said. I am glad you have such a wonderful girlfriend, who thought enough of you to get you this wonderful creature. Congrats to you all.... Also agree with Terry, love that golden nose.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
DixieParadise said:
From the last picture with the dog, I say Cherryhead...but does that really matter. He is a good looking tort as everyone else has said. I am glad you have such a wonderful girlfriend, who thought enough of you to get you this wonderful creature. Congrats to you all.... Also agree with Terry, love that golden nose.

No it doesnt marter.. My argument was finding out which it was because the store false advertised what they were selling... Im gonna treat it the same.. And yess i am a lucky guy to have a great girlfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.