Water Bowl

karabeth316

Hello! I have a nice terra cotta plant base for Edgar, my Russian. However, it soaks up A LOT of water. Is there anything that I can line the bowel with that is safe for him? I fill the water bowel up a minimum of two times a day and I do not think Edgar is getting in it that often. Thanks!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Karabeth I use terracotta plant saucers as bowls and although they are by nature porous I can't say I've noticed that much water soaking in. Are you sure you don't have a hairline crack in it? But then I suppose you'd see a puddle or it would be very damp under/around the bowl if you did. Or is it near your heat source and it could just be evaporation? I can't think what you could use to line one with. What about buying a plastic saucer instead and scouring the bottom of it to make it rough help traction for your torts feet. If its sunk into the substrate to make it stable then maybe it will do the same job.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It shouldn't soak up too much. Strange.
Perhaps a glazed or enamelled bowl, lightly scoured .
And you might have to put him in a bath (plastic container) to soak, if he's not doing it himself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's one of the things I have against using the terra cotta plant saucers. I buy the plastic ones that LOOK like terra cotta instead.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I've noticed the same thing, however mine seems to be pretty random. Some mornings it's completely dry, while others it's full. It's really weird, because this is indoors in a closed chamber with controlled temps.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The terra cotta dish I use for our indoor enclosure dries up after a few days and then I just refill it. He hates being in the water so it's not a huge worry. He gets at least a weekly soak (and he's an adult) so hydration is never a problem. Boy, he hates bath time... :rolleyes:

karabeth316

Thanks! Edgar gets a few baths a week and seems to do fine. Just want to make sure he access to water!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I too give my Greek tort several soaks a week so as to make sure it gets the water it needs, particularly now that the weather here is rather hot. It doesn't miind it so long as the water is warm.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Some of them leak, many of them don't. It's cheap to replace. Buy another one and most likely you won't have that happen again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I used the glazed ones. even my baby didn't have a traction problem. They are easy to keep clean with just a wipe and can be disinfected because they are not porous.