Water lettuce question

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I was very happy to snag some wild water lettuce for Jacques' tank while out on the river this past weekend.
I cleaned it well, left in floating in water outside for a few days in case I missed any hitch-hiking snails, then put it in her tank.

But now I read on other forums that water lettuce is NOT good for aquariums with fish because it removes oxygen (REALLY???? o_O) and increases the temperature of the water significantly.

Anybody have issues with water lettuce in aquariums?????? o_O

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used them in my pond all the time. When I did try to keep them in an aquarium, it was short lived, they died out. Not enough good lighting is my best guess. All water plants uses oxygen. Never heard of any plant raising temps. I think your fine. If in doubt, watch your thermometer and see if the temp rises. I don't think it will.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Never heard of live plants increasing the temps, but dead and rotting stuff can.
I agree with Wellington in that water lettuce will likely require some serious lighting.
Give us some updates on Jacques when you can Mooz.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I agree with the above. I think it keeps the water cooler by shading it but that can affect plants living below it. Grows really fast where it's happy.