Watery Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm thinking the sand could be causing the problem. I agree with Sibi, try a coco coir or plain topsoil substrate.

Good luck!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
coco coir as a replacement for the sand and a good flush of the eyes as mentioned above are your two best options. go look in the mirror at your eyes, you will see a bit of liquid collected on the bottom eyelid, is this a comparable amount to whats on your tortoises? its common, that just means the eyes are clean and functioning properly.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

skmackley2

5 Year Member
There's hardly no sand In it, so I just dip his head in water and his eye will soak? I dunno

nate.mann said:
coco coir as a replacement for the sand and a good flush of the eyes as mentioned above are your two best options. go look in the mirror at your eyes, you will see a bit of liquid collected on the bottom eyelid, is this a comparable amount to whats on your tortoises? its common, that just means the eyes are clean and functioning properly.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Oh good

If you look at my other thread about ideas and what should go where in a 2 terrain tortoise table, I was wondering can. Till keep this substrate but put this topsoil,calcium bits, handfuls of sand mixture into the hot end where he basks and mix it with plain topsoil for his house bedding and have just plain topsoil in the cold end so if he digs down to find warmth it won't seriously harm him? Good idea or ....?

skmackley2

5 Year Member
So I bathed him and soaked his eye and this little bit of white goo came out and looked like it was in the eye, he looks fine now

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
is there any particular reason youre mixing so much in there? to me youre just making things a little more complicated than needed. theres many threads on here that will let you know whats okay and not. cyprus mulch, coconut coir, and organic topsoil are just some of the things that can be used. for burrowers i like coir because its kinda fine and easy on the tortoise. now just keep an eye (no pun intended) on your tortoise and if it goes back to how it was let us know.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

skmackley2

5 Year Member
nate.mann said:
is there any particular reason youre mixing so much in there? to me youre just making things a little more complicated than needed. theres many threads on here that will let you know whats okay and not. cyprus mulch, coconut coir, and organic topsoil are just some of the things that can be used. for burrowers i like coir because its kinda fine and easy on the tortoise. now just keep an eye (no pun intended) on your tortoise and if it goes back to how it was let us know.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

I'm not mixing loads of things! That's the ingredients in this substrate topsoil calcium stones and like a few handfuls of sand I didn't make it. I bought It like that, by us coco coir is fairly expensive and when we get it it's in sooooooo small cubes and then after you gotta do all soaking waiting drying all stuff and apparently it's hard to stable the moisture in the substrate so I don't use that and I'm getting organic topsoil, I want a substrate I can just cut it open and put it in the enclosure,

And I am definitely not having cypress mulch it's like huge bits of bask and wood it's a bit of topsoil?? So no,

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
oh okay. i just bought a bag of organic topsoil as well because i rescued a leopard tortoise today, and it was cheap but safe. i see where youre coming from though, being a 16-year-old, jobless, and living with a girlfriend is tough financially.

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The substrate is/was the problem, not sure if the organic soil will work. But its better then what was using before...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Whatever you decide to use, get rid of the stuff with the sand! That could have been the problem from the beginning.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Watery Eyes

skmackley2 said:
So what topsoil do I get?

Buy the plain, untreated top soil. No additives, no fertilizers. I buy the no name brand from home depot or lowes. 2cu ft for $2 and some change.

Sent from my TFOapp

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
skmackley2 said:
So what topsoil do I get?

Buy the plain, untreated top soil. No additives, no fertilizers. I buy the no name brand from home depot or lowes. 2cu ft for $2 and some change.

Sent from my TFOapp

Why
Plain untreated , the could be fertilisers in there plus you dunno what's in there? What about if there might be plant seeds that I won't see and could flower into a poisonous plant,

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You want plain untreated soil.
Here is an example of additives to avoid:
Manure
Fertilizers
Compost
Perlite
Anything "miracle grow"

You want the dirt clean and safe for your tort with nothing that he could eat or get sick from.

It's a win win because it's best for your tort to be on plain dirt and at the cheapest price for you since there are no additives.

Sent from my TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.